Friday 18th August 2017

A few things I absolutely do not need but very much want

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 9.34.11 PM

There are downsides to singlehood for sure, but one aspect of being divorced I absolutely treasure is that when I come home bearing shopping bags, there is nobody there to look at me askance and ask “Did you really need that?” Because is it even possible to justify a Jerome Dreyfuss suede tassel keychain?

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 10.23.38 PM

Or this most fantastically chic wireless speaker, especially when you already own a perfectly serviceable—if significantly less divine—one?

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 10.48.57 PM

Or yet again another Fornasetti something? (Commenter Raina refers to Fornasetti as “The histrionic personality disorder of decorating,” and while I fear she may be correct, my passion abides.)

Posted on October 30th, 2015 11 Comments

1. Heather says:

Towards the end, my ex (to whom I’d recently lent over $10,000 for business expenses) criticized everything I spent money on, from a $4 Starbucks chai to a $25 pedicure to a down coat (we lived in a very cold climate). Of course, it was his way of projecting his insecurity, etc. But you’re right, it’s nice to be able to treat myself with my own, hard-earned cash and not be judged for it. Hadn’t realized until now… thanks for that.

2. y.k. says:

that speaker
    so restrained. i really want it.

3. Beth says:

I love Fornasetti. Love to bring the weird into my suburban home.

It’s obviously going to pay for itself many times over in time saved from not losing your keys.

There!

In a time not so long ago, there was a man who would protest if his wife *didn’t* come home with any shopping bags. May you find someone worthy… if you want to. Gotta say, I get more interested as the weather gets colder.

5. DelawareDeb says:

Never though I would ever say this: That is a great looking speaker!

My husband would be speechless.

6. DelawareDeb says:

I’m a firm believer in guiltlessly spending some of one’s disposable income on “wants” not “needs.”

7. therealblonde says:

Ha! I’m single and I got that tassel keychain from Jerome Dreyfuss. My bag deserves gifts too, right?

Kim, how do you manage to always feature the exact thing I’m craving?!? (*Tassled key chain)

9. Raina says:

There’s a certain Fornasetti wallpaper in my future. Then a heaping plateful of crow.

10. Mae says:

My advice to my many nieces is to always, always, always have your own money, honey. It’s the little things you buy on an ongoing basis that will keep you motivated. Even a good husband (I’m lucky to have one) needs to be told to mind his own business every now and then.