Thursday 22nd June 2017

Thursday trifecta

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 5.52.18 PM

Today’s post is inspired by the vintage Coach Station Bag I bought this August at a yard sale, and upon which I receive many compliments. You can find one pretty much exactly like it on Ebay.

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 5.54.15 PM

Or, if you’d rather go for something new: here is the same shape—but in a clutch style.

lemaire

Here’s a rather luxe version.

madewell coach

And here’s a cheaper take on above.

Posted on October 29th, 2015 16 Comments

1. Lara says:

I have that same bag in grey with silver hardware, and I love it. I went through a craze two or three years ago of buying up vintage New York made coach bags, many from the Bonnie Cashin era, on etsy. The leather is so thick and soft and many of the designs are so modern – edgy classic cool… My favourite is the “rambler”, but I have two vintage “stewardess” bags that get noticed everywhere. That leather is built to last! (If you search for Bonnie Cashin on etsy you often find her jackets and sweaters too… I love the way they look completely contemporary today!)

These are all pretty wonderful. Excellent scouting and really thoughtful suggestions!

3. Maria says:

It is telling that your original Coach bag is my favorite of the bunch – what a great find!

4. shelly says:

Love this post, and crazy to me that you posted this picture–I just found the exact same coach bag at a thrift store the other day and was so excited. I’ve been really into vintage coach bags lately too for the same reasons Lara stated above. I kind of want one of every style they ever made back in the 80s (anyone know of a web site with pictures of all the models?). So good.

5. Cedar says:

I have my mom’s “stewardess” Coach bag from the early 80’s and the quality really is impeccable. I get compliments on it whenever I use it.

6. Laura says:

I had that bag, and the little Coach drawstring bag, all though the late 80’s/early 90’s. Loved the quality.

7. Lesa says:

I had that exact Station bag, and let it go at a yard sale after one of my periodic cleaning fits. Hey, was that you? Glad it found a good home.

8. Kate says:

I love vintage Coach and have several. The leather kit they sell is really great for cleaning up older models!

Ditto. Beautiful and well-made, you just can’t beat that.

• Viajera says:

Btw… I don’t know anything about their labor practices and whatnot, but seems to me Mark Cross was making some nice things too. Too pricey for me though.

10. Raina says:

Somewhere, I have a Coach tote I used as a briefcase straight out of college. I was damn proud of that (then new) gorgeous piece. It’s pre-Krakoff, so I can claim vintage status.

11. Michelle says:

I not only still have that exact same bag in my colection, but also black and gold(yellow) bucket bags (amongst a few other Coaches) from that same era! I have not held on to many bags over the years, but those I have! This inspires me to bring them back out!

12. mlinky says:

I have a ton of vintage Coach. Don’t care for the newer flimsy leather. Similar to the Station, one of my favorite bags of all time is an all black Dooney Carrier, shown here in navy blue: http://vintagedooney.com/item_61/Navy-Blue-Carrier-Vintage-Pristine-Square-Dooney-Bourke-AWL.htm

13. y.k. says:

the Coach City bag in camel was my first grown up bag. I remember the first time I wore it with my Perry Ellis jacket in 1981. Thanks for reminding me.

14. Heather says:

Inspired by these posts, I did some searching on Etsy/Ebay and found some early 90s Coach bags that I liked, made in USA (it seems they moved to China in the late 90s). Any thoughts on their quality, etc?

As other posters have noted, their quality seems to have plummeted recently, though I think the outlet stuff maybe gets conflated with the ‘real’ stuff.

15. Rachel says:

I bought a vintage Coach bucket bag last year from Etsy, and I absolutely love it. I can’t figure out how it’s so cheap to have a quality, made in America, Coach bag. Aren’t plastic and vinyl fast fashion purses selling for the same amount? Crazy.
    Anyway, I love the shape of your bag. Maybe it’s time for me to go shopping again!