Tuesday 21st November 2017

Chelsea boots, now and forever

victoria beckham

Classic Posh

From the moment I started to care about looking cool—and I’d date this to freshman year of college, when I fell under the sway of a cadre of girls from New York whose style seemed to me unprecedentedly on-point—I have owned a pair of Chelsea boots. And for all these decades since, I don’t think there’s been a time when there wasn’t a pair in my my closet. These days, they seem less about cool (likely because, at 51, I am less about cool) than about supreme versatility: they can come off anywhere from classic to edgy, and are just so very walkable.  My current favorites are Blundstones (see first pair below) because they’re endlessly comfortable, the treads make them good for when there’s snow and ice, and the price is right. But I’d happily say yes to every pair you see here too.

chelsea boots1. Blundstone 2. Loeffler Randall 3. Loeffler Randall 4. Doc Martens 5. Rachel Comey 6. Marais USA  (Vegan) 7. Everlane 8. Church’s

Posted on October 26th, 2015 23 Comments

1. Dianne says:

Love, love, love Chelsea boots!!!!
    I got my first pair in 1979 after getting into The Jam and thinking about early The Who and Beatles’ style and all things mod.

Chelsea boots are my go to concenrt boot because you can stand in them for HOURS and you can walk in them for MILES.

Ad yes, they look cool

2. Jana says:

I took mine to Italy for 3 weeks last November! Perfection 🙂

3. Debra says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I’ve been on the hunt for some Chelsea boots (brown, though, à la Sandra Bullock in Speed) and I’m pretty sure that one of these is going to fit the bill.

4. Tammy says:

Hey, Kim: Does the Blundstone pair fit true to size? Thanks!

5. Heather says:

Kim, cool knows no age. And you are cool.

What an excellent selection! Have never owned a pair of Blundstone, but when my son was a chef those were pretty much all he wore––I believe this is true for many chefs.

7. My McQueen pair has a high stacked heel, they go with everything. Love them in the winter with tights and dresses.

I just got a dark grey flannel pair (similar to the #3 sneaker style) at Target. Leopard too. They are so comfortable.

I’m with you, Kim. These are classics, and my feet couldn’t be happier.

9. Maria says:

Is there something in the air? Even more Chelsea boots, from Friday’s LooksGoodFromTheBack blogpost:

The Docs are sooo good in that dark cherry red/black color.

10. Nandini says:

Hi Kim–where is boot #3 from? The existing link goes to the Loeffler Randall boots. Thanks!

11. Cara says:

Tod’s has great Chelsea boots, too. And always: Blunnies

12. Maureen says:

Hi Kim – Love pair #3, but the link goes to pair #2. Could you update? I may need to buy them immediately.

13. y.k. says:

this is a great round up. different takes on a true staple. i also like that photo of V- she looks so chic! (how about military style coats/jackets next kimfrance? 😄)

14. Kate says:

I have shiny ones from Asos, and they are great. Very comfy and nice with black tights and a skirt, or jeans.

15. joni maloney says:

i was able to score a pair of vegan chelsea boots from H & M a few years back for $29.00 and damn, if they are not the best to kick around in!

16. Jen says:

What say ye about pairing chelsea boots with a suit? Like a more tailored suit? For teaching. Would love the peanut gallery time chime in on this style choice.

17. Alejandra says:

YES! I have the Doc Martens (#4) in burgundy and I love that I can throw them on with anything: jeans, a dress, cigarette pants. Such a great staple!