Tuesday 23rd January 2018

Cheap and chic of the week

loft coat

Isn’t this striped cocoon coat just so very smart? And: remember when people used the word smart to describe clothes? Can we bring that back?

Posted on October 8th, 2015 20 Comments

1. Lynn in Tucson says:

That is super cute. I only wish it were more than 5% wool.

2. Tamara says:

FYI it’s 50% off…

3. Tucson Diva says:

Darling Kim,

I am concerned about your clothing selections for the past several posts. You are all in black and grey! And your house goods collections are dead insects and animals. We all have a fondness for black, but it seems like you are mourning the sun even before it is gone and before complete bleakness has set in in chilly NYC. Perhaps a little pop of color? There is hope that once winter sets in, spring will eventually come and then summer again. I believe that what you surround yourself with impacts your mood. So please, a little lightness as we move away from the physical sun? I think it will make you feel better too.

With love and sunshine,
    Tucson Diva

• KimFrance says:

This cracked me up, Tuscon Diva, and made me wish you could see my home, which has altogether too much color! I’m just feeling a lot of black and grey, but will take your request to heart. Thanks, and thanks for being such a loyal reader and commenter.

4. Cristina says:

Bringing back “smart” is fine (and very Vanity Fair, circa 1929), if in return we can forever get rid of “obsessed with” and “packed with” (as in “packed with antioxidents.” I’ve noticed that both those phrases are ubiquitous in fashion magazines in particular, and also in interviews with young (and not-so-young) women. They’re tired, wildly inaccurate, and frankly just lazy writing. So let’s unpack some of those ingredients, and stop being quite so easily obsessed…

5. Lisa S. says:

Aaaaaaaand purchased. $88 for a trendy coat is a steal, and I look forward to my smart new weekend wrapper!

6. caroline says:

Hilariously badass!
    Love smart. So timeless.
    Miss the use of slacks and trousers. Pants always sound like undies to me.
    Sort of like the difference between sofa and couch.
    I’ll take sofa every time.

7. Sydney says:

If I never hear “My bad” again, it will be too soon.
    Please send that lazy, grammatically careless, one-size-fits-all mea culpa posthaste to the Graveyard of Regrettable Phrases!

8. I would banish ‘must haves’ and ‘the new black’. Still like ‘timeless’ and ‘classic’ though!