Thursday 23rd March 2017

Home again

tevaaaa!

My just-concluded vacation included many and varied activities: I hiked through a cloud forest, kayaked on a lake and swam in the Pacific. I dined on multiple ocean delicacies and learned more than I could have imagined there was to know about the Colombian Inquisition. I also took a rather massive tumble down a flight of stairs in the pitch-back of night finding my way back to my casita one evening (eco-lodges aren’t big on outdoor lighting) and split my knee wide open. A kind doctor at a country clinica stitched me up and—aside from some bad swelling and epic bruising— I was good to go. Only most of my shoes didn’t feel so great to walk in afterward, so I pretty much defaulted daily to the Tevas I’d been prevailed upon to bring for hiking and water sports. And guys, now that I’m back home, I’m still wearing them constantly. Several people have assured me that they look great, but I secretly still think they’re on the nuts side, and don’t care.

Posted on September 28th, 2015 26 Comments

1. Rebecca says:

Not nuts! Great!

I have avoided making eye contact with TEVAS forever…and now, suddenly, they are perfect.

2. Mary Alice says:

I think they look fine, and since they come with such a great backstory, you’re good to go.

3. Maria says:

I will admit that I really, really don’t like Tevas (I’m currently wearing a pair of Birkenstock Gizehs, so interpret that as you will).

That said, anyone in pain gets an absolute pass regarding footwear. If you like them, and they feel good, wear them.

• Violet says:

Maria, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have more than 6 pairs of Birkenstocks but IMO Tevas are the ugliest shoes ever. (I just contemplated that statement for a moment. Yep, ever.)

But I started wearing Birks when suffering with plantar fasciitis so I also agree that whatever shoes solve the problem are the shoes to wear.

4. Dana D says:

I just took a trip to Los Angeles and San Diego and wore my gold-strapped platform Tevas out and about and felt Portland-cool in a rebellious sort of way…

They are perfect travel shoes and easy to get on and off for security. And they are comfortable forever.

Glad you are back…

5. Raina says:

ACK! I’m so sorry you were injured.

But you will need to flip that story to… you were climbing Columbia’s tallest peak, fell 100 feet to a rock ledge below, and were saved by the mountain rescue helicopter.

6. Tara says:

Oh my goodness–I am sorry to hear of your fall and glad you bounced back. I finally purchased my first pair of Birkenstocks (black patent Arizona soft footbed numbers) but have an ancient pair of Tevas from like the 90s (so, um, VINTAGE…yeah, that’s it). All this to say–comfort is key. And sometimes nuts is good when it comes to footwear, especially if they are comfortable!

7. marjorie says:

oh no, heal fast!! yikes. and i like the yeah-fuck-it of those Tevas.

Egad, sorry to hear about your fall and stitches. Tevas. They are comfortable and they serve a purpose and if you can style them so they don’t look like Tevas (and my guess is that YOU can if anyone can) then show us how it’s done!

9. lori says:

My Tevas are without a doubt the most comfortable and long lasting pair of sandals/flip-flops I have ever owned!! You may find yourself continuing to enjoy them even after your knee is 100%!

10. Amy says:

I’m so sorry you hurt yourself. It sounds like a wonderful vacation. Thank you for leaving all the great posts to run while you were gone. I enjoyed them.

11. Glad you’re back, so sorry to hear about your fall and injury. I like your pair of Tevas, the white sole is kinda cool.

After reading what happened to you and walking myself in semi-remote areas at night while on vacation, I’m going to add a good travel flashlight to my packing list.

Get well soon!

12. y.k. says:

ouch!! I’m so sorry ! o wear the tevas until the velcro wears out& you get sick of resticking the straps -which i think will happen pretty soon – then you’ll be good as new!

13. Mae says:

Were you drunk?

14. Heather says:

I’ve been wearing my Chacos as actual “shoes” (ie, not something I put on for the drive home after a long hike) since it’s been pouring rain all day, every day for a week — and I must say, I GET IT NOW.

15. jhops says:

Welcome home! Glad you’re okay – yikes, that fall sounds scary.

16. Loree says:

So glad that your injury wasn’t worse! A knee infection would be a pretty awful souvenir. Glad to see a plug for Tevas. No, not elegant, but they are beautiful in their completely utilitarian fashion!

I’m so sorry to hear about your knee!!! I hope you will seriously baby it until it is 100% back to normal, or even better. Whatever it takes!

I have never Teva’d. And I can’t say they look that comfy to me… but if *you* say so, it must be true. (I don’t always lift my feet high enough and I could see biting it big time in those.)

I am not sure what I think of them visually. Hmm. Must think.

18. Bernie C says:

I love my Tevas and I don’t care who knows it! I finally wore out a pair after 6 years of hard-core wear during a hike up a waterfall in Jamaica a year ago. Immediately upon my return I went online and bought another pair. No judgement here!!

Oh Kim! I’m so glad to hear that you were [relatively] OK!

20. Cedar says:

Here is how much I love my Tevas; I can report from multiple experiences that any good shoe repair place will replace the velcro for you, thus providing many more years of comfortable wear.

I just had a visit to a podiatrist who has basically consigned me to shoes in which orthotics will fit for the rest of my life. But he gave my Tevas a thumbs up, which I intend to use as excuse to wear them to work when I feel like it.

Like today, when it is raining buckets. Go practical footwear!

21. TucsonDiva says:

Ouch! Glad the fall was not worse, and it sounds like you are healing well.

That said, once your feet feel well enough, please throw away the Tevas or pack them back with the rest of your hiking gear. I truly believe Tevas and their brethren Birkenstocks are signs of the end of the world. Shoes should be beautiful and should emphasize one of the remaining beauties of your body as you age — your lovely ankles,cute toes, etc.

I am 53 and cannot wear my Manolos everywhere, but there is a middle ground. Naot makes some very nice platform walking shoes with gold straps that are lovely and durable (I’ve done 5+ miles in them easily). Thierry Rabotin makes fabulous walkable shoes that look sexy too.

We are too young to give up sexy shoes!!! ((I will be saying this for the next 20 years — I have progressed to the smaller heeled sling back Manolos instead of the really high ones, so concessions may be made, but please keep the faith!!!)

xo

22. Amy in StL says:

Those are nice looking for tevas. Usually I feel they’re the type of shoes that are on feet that have never had a pedicure. Years ago I suffered from plantar fasciitis and bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals. I love them, but they are not pretty. I recently took a trip where I would be walking or standing for eight or 9 hours a day for three days – I bought a pair of Keen Presidio shoes. They are the best purchase I’ve ever made since I survived all three days without sore feet or back. They’re still not pretty, but I’ll bet these clunky shoes get a lot of wear.

23. Rachel says:

Welcome home. And ouch. May I offer a (belated) packing suggestion that has served me well in so many circumstances over the years? I keep a very small Petzel headlamp in my dopp kit. (See below.) It’s been invaluable from power outages to getting dressed in the dark so as not to disturb travel companions.

And it’s a perfect complement to your tevas!