Friday 22nd September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Fall classics: the barn jacket

barbour beadnell

To my mind, the platonic ideal of this particular item is the Barbour Beadnell. I feel so cool and post-fashion when I wear mine.

barbour liberty

And here it is lined in a Liberty print.

downtown field jacket

J. Crew’s ever-popular Downtown Field Jacket has a somewhat more urban feel.

barn jacket

I am beyond-obsessing over this denim version from The Great.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 2.56.38 PM

From LL Bean: so good in the cream.

Posted on September 24th, 2015 15 Comments

1. Rachel says:

These posts are killing me! So many beautiful, cozy things. I’m going to blow thru my clothing budget any day now…

2. I fondly remember borrowing my boyfriend’s LL Bean barn jacket, the mustard one with the green corduroy collar and cuffs, back in the day. I don’t like the current reboot.

The first Barbour jacket is the one I’d pick.

3. jenny says:

lolol. Post-fashion, indeed. ha

4. Sara says:

Zara has a really good forest-green one this season too. Feel pretty “post-fashion” wearing it, myself.

5. Nina Forrest says:

I have an “early Banana Republic” barn jacket with madras cuffs that I’ve never stopped wearing, even with dressy clothes. Those jackets are great!!

6. Lisa S. says:

I’m still wearing the men’s J. Crew barn jacket I bought in college in 1991. The fading and fraying only make it look more awesome, IMO. And they just don’t make them like that any more. (Though you can find them on Etsy or eBay.)

I also have the Downtown Field Jacket, which is definitely what the barn jacket turned into when it went and got a job in a city after graduation.

I think you have to have grown up with those?

8. Amy says:

I recently ordered a Beadnell (on markdown at Nordstrom Rack), but was disappointed when the shoulders were uncomfortably tight. I tried sizing up, but ran into the same issue. I’m not particularly broad shouldered, so just curious to know if anyone else has had the same issue…? Would the Bedale be a better option?

• Serena says:

I have a Barbour and there ain”t much give in the shoulders in mine. Then its freakishly wide around the waist…..wierd.

9. y.k. says:

these aren’t my style, but a friend gave my son an LLBean barn jacket when he was about 3 – so adorable.

Purchased a Barbour barn jacket last year. They do run big if anyone is planning to order.

11. Serena says:

Kim, does your Barbour have the deadly “sweaty arms” syndrome?

Mine has – there are air holes under the armpit but they do nothing as most times I take my jacket off and the full length of the arms of my top are literally damp. Its all clammy!

Its a massive bummer and I don’t know how to solve it.

12. Daphne says:

I have the Downtown field jacket in army green, and I love it so much that I bought it in navy, too. I was wearing it a few days ago and told my boyfriend that “every woman in New York owns this jacket,” and he tried to tell me I was being hyperbolic–until we got on the subway and saw no fewer than seven women IN A SINGLE TRIP wearing it.