Sunday 20th August 2017

Fall classics: the long-sleeved tee

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 4.08.02 PM

I can not lie: I will spend what others may consider an ungodly amount on T-shirts. But to me, a really good tee is an investment purchase—I wear them endlessly (and they will last forever if you hand-wash and dry them)—and I’d rather have fewer and better. I’ve got a couple of Alexander Wang Classic Jersey  tees that have worn amazingly well. And they are a perfect object lesson in why I tell you guys not to fear synthetics: they’re 100% rayon and as soft as a beloved cotton tee you’ve put through the wash 100 times. Here’s the variation I’m thinking of going for this year, because a scoop-neck is so pretty and feminine on, and the relaxed, swingy hem will deftly camouflage my stomach junk.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 4.10.43 PM

Wilt tees are all cotton and definitely heavier if that’s what you’re looking for, and they have completely mastered the high-low hem thing.

B&W

A classic stripe, but in black and white for a little edge.

madewell v neck

Nothing wrong with a nice, slouchy v-neck, and this is such a good blue (it does come in other colors, FYI).

proenza

And finally: this one is dizzyingly pricey even by my warped standards (it’s Proenza Schouler) but is also just so good.

Posted on September 23rd, 2015 20 Comments

1. Cara says:

Rick Owens makes the best T’s, methinks. Buy them on ebay.

• StillWannaBeWinona says:

Oh god, yes. I tried on what I think was a t-shirt (maybe it was supposed to be a really short dress?), which was BEAUTIFUL. The most perfect drape. His stuff is so, so flattering and wears like a dream. But $320. I couldn’t do it, even though I was thinking it would be something I wear constantly. I can’t even bring myself to buy James Perse shirts unless at a sample sale. But, if money were no object, Rick Owens all the way.

2. kates says:

I’m tired of spending big money on t-shirts that develop little holes. I’ve take to buying them at Target, and they actually wear better.

3. Eloise says:

I love, love, love Wilt!!!! I was so very sad when Roxanne Heptner stoped producing her line until I discovered Wilt on Anthropologie and realized that she was behind it! I’m also a fan of Spendid t-shirts, which are super soft.

4. Ellen says:

I totally agree with you Kim. I love tee shirts and consider them an investment, because I wear them so much. Great ones can be found at all price points, but I do find that often the pricier ones have more style oompf and polish. I used to save my Alexander Wang and Acne tees to wear to work, since my office is business casual and these tees look great under a blazer. But, now I’m spoiled and like to wear my good ones on the weekend too.

5. kristie says:

My work as a yoga and massage therapist is tricky to dress for; I need to be functional for movement but like to look put-together. Wilt looks absolutely perfect for me, and I’ve got a big box of it on the way to try on (found that revolve.com gives 10% off on a first order). Thanks so much! Can’t wait!

6. MJ says:

hand wash tees? ugg!

• ecc09 says:

My sentiments exactly! I already have too many things that need special care, I am so not adding T shirts to that pile!

I’ve loved Wilt t’s for years and never felt they were given their due. Thx, Kim, for sharing my secret source! 😉

8. Nina Forrest says:

I adore tees, but the little holes that appear drive me crazy. Is there a tee shirt hole gremlin somewhere out there.

Saw one in Urban Outfitters that had cut holes already in it. Looks like I might have enough hole-y tees to do that and follow the trend 🙂

• Violet says:

The tiny tee holes are completely maddening! (“A hole between my shoulder blades? How did that happen??”) A couple years ago, a friend told me that it happens in the wash when zippers from other garments snag against the tee. I stopped washing knits together with zippered things and it seems to have solved the problem.

9. mieke says:

I don’t really consider rayon or viscose synthetics; yes, they are man made, but from cellulose (plant based) fibers. You really do need to wash it by hand as the fibers are very delicate when wet & machine agitation is too much (see? there is a justification for your hand washing).
    Beware the Madewell viscose tshirts; I bought one in the spring & it shrunk a lot, but even more annoying, it twisted at the seams-a sign of terrible pattern lay-out & cutting.

10. Kate says:

You hand-wash your tees? Can we talk more about this?

11. Tracy says:

I use the “hand wash/wool” setting on my washer. That works pretty well…

12. kristie says:

My husband fell in love with a 3/4 sleeve T for work; more expensive than his previous t-shirts, so I cooked up a more careful way to launder them that made them last sooooo much longer than usual but with less work for me than a full hand wash or full air dry which then needs to be ironed or steamed. My method: quick wash in cold water (on my washer that’s a 30ish minute cycle), followed by a 15 minute tumble on low, then hang dry.. The brief, low tumble softens and takes the wrinkles out, but since they mostly hang dry, they’ve lasted forever. So effective I do most of our clothes this way now!

13. Boden makes great Breton striped long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve tees. Substantial in weight and construction. Armor-Lux too. Madewell makes a great tee too (especially their linen blend tees). I wash them all in the delicate cycle, on cold, and hang dry. I also avoid washing delicates with zippered items. If it’s super delicate, I place it in a big lingerie mesh bag.

Love the hot laundry tips!

Also the stripey one is fun.

Is rayon warm though?