Tuesday 17th October 2017

Fall classics: sneakers

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 11.32.37 AM

The proliferation of crazy-pricey designer kicks has put me in a contrary mood, so everything you see here is old school, and as such, rings in at under $100— which only feels right for sneakers. First up: the blue-on-blue of this pair from New Balance  is poppy good fun.

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 11.44.00 AM

I want to wear these with leather leggings and a big sweater come winter, like Maria Cornejo does.

blue stan smith

Dying, dying, dying for these blue Stan Smiths.

onitsuka tiger

The subtle pearl grey on these Onitsuka Tigers is a good alternative for those of us who want something light, but fear that straight-on white sneakers are a bit Nurse Shoe.

seavees slip on

Slip-ons can feel so clunky to me, but these have a nice, streamlined feel.

Posted on September 22nd, 2015 15 Comments

1. Carrie says:

What a coincidence, I just got back from Paris where every woman was wearing skinny black pants and black sneakers with no socks, so I came home and looked for some on Zappos. Those Nikes were in my cart yesterday as they came the closest to the look, but I haven’t bought them yet. This must be a sign.

Love all of these.

3. Jen says:

Thank you! I am also going through the backlash that sneakers shouldn’t cost more than $100, so I very much appreciate the lower price focus of this post.

4. Cara says:

Everlane is coming out with pointy toe slip-ons on Oct 1st. Any idea where to buy the Stan Smith’s in a small size (5.5/6)?

5. joannawnyc says:

There is no need for designer sneakers when other options exist!

6. Rachel says:

Love this post! I grew up in Southern California in the 90’s, but now that I’m 36 in a rural southern state, I’m becoming a total sneaker head. :c) I can’t wait to wear these all autumn long.

7. Casey says:

Just ordered those Nikes! Love them and can’t wait to wear them!

8. Michelle says:

Bought the Nike’s in August – plan to wear them exactly as you’ve described.

Already bought my black Nike’s to wear on a college search road trip with my daughter. Check! Next up? The Seavees. Miy slip-ons are not only too chunky, but cheap!

10. Ita Darling says:

I have definitely started wearing more sneakers since the trend started, and I really only go for the classic brands in the cool combos like you have shown above- like why buy IM sneakers that look like Stan Smiths when I can have Stan Smiths? Why buy Vince all black leather slip ons when Vans makes an all black leather slip on? You get the idea. But then yesterday.*sigh* I was flying and the woman across the aisle from me had on an AMAZING pair of Valentino sneakers- something I am not sure I would ever buy if I just saw them on the website. They were kind of an army green base, with flourescent patches color in a camo pattern with a subtle rubber rock stud detail on the back. Your post just reminded me of them and now I have to start googling.

11. I just bought my 6th pair of non-workout sneakers, the white leather puma match lo sneakers at Madewell (that you featured earlier this month). It’s really hard not to buy more, they are so comfortable and work with my casual wardrobe. I’m loving the quasi-chelsea boot sneaker, but I may do the Target version (instead of the $$$ Vince pair).

12. Ann says:

I love this website, not only because you show women who aren’t 12 that we don’t have to dress like old church ladies. But also because you say stuff like “poppy good fun.”

13. Mary Alice says:

Im pretty crazy about this color combo for the Nikes…I can have the black AND this, too, right?

14. ramonaquimby says:

Black Nikes bought. I actually forgot you posted and saw them elsewhere, remembered you did and took the whole thing as a sign. Love that I can justify bc of reasonable price.