Tuesday 21st November 2017

Top five of the week

the nerd

I have rarely liked cut of jeans as much as I do the slouchy skinny—and I have a drawer-full to prove it— but at a certain point in time, a girl’s got to change it up. Here are some denim specimens that are feeling particularly fresh to me. First up: a satisfyingly solid dark wash and cute cropped cut—with just a hint of flair—from my new favorite line, The Great.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 5.14.21 PM

This high rise straight crop jean feels quite 1970s Mom to me.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 4.59.17 PM

This pair is from Amo, a new denim line that everyone’s obsessing over. I’m liking the nifty twisted side seams.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 5.03.07 PM

Laugh if you will; I am wildly tempted by this cuffed trouser jean.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 6.20.00 PM

These would look fantastic come fall paired with a blazer.

Posted on August 27th, 2015 29 Comments

1. lyn says:

Yes yes yes yes yes

2. Jen says:

I will not laugh at all–I love those cuffed trouser jeans! So cute with the pumps, would also be great with ballet flats.

3. Tammy says:

I really dig the Amo twist side skinny. Fresh look.

4. YHa says:

High rise straight cropped goes to Almost Skinny link, can you please share where you found it from? I love that look.

5. Dana D says:

One great thing about being a denim-collector-of-a-certain-age is that there already resides in my closet a close substitute for every pair you featured except the twisted seam…

If I could figure out a way to take a pair I already own and mess up the seams myself, I would do it. (And since they are made in the US, I could almost, but not quite, spend that much…)

The first pair––the “nerd” jean––is intriguing, but not so much for short people.

I am sooooooooooo over the whiskering effect. And while I applaud women who say, “screw it” to age appropriateness when it comes to dressing, I still feel nothing says mutton-dressed-as-lamb more eloquently and more sadly than jeans with a whisker fade. But that’s just me.

Try sitting down in a pair of jeans with a twisted side seam.

Apologies for sounding so grumpy.

• c.w. says:

“are” intriguing––not “is.” Nothing is more irritating that a grumpy person with bad grammar. Apologies again.

• kg says:

Actually, it is correct to say that the “the first pair IS intriguing” because the pair of jeans is being treated as a single entity. On the other hand, a plural verb is used when the members of the pair are treated as individuals.
        Nothing is more irritating than people who correct others’ grammar–incorrectly.

• Viajera says:

Just a quibble… I usually think any kind of obviously fake fading and holing/wearing looks like hooey, no matter the age of the person wearing it.

But I agree that people should pretty much wear whatever they like and not worry about what cranky people like me think.

• y.k. says:

on the twisted seams- i have to say that i have a pair of vince jeans with them (a bit of a longer drawn out twist than the pair above) & the twisted seams have some kind of tromp l’oeil effect on my thighs – my legs look incredibly slender in them. not kidding.

• Dana D says:

Now that you mention it, if I-of-the-generous-calves tried to sit down in those twisty ones, I might inadvertently and altogether rip out the seams…

I also agree regarding the whispering/fading thing and find this discussion fascinating because women and their jean issues (and I have mine) is really a thing and I’m a bit embarrassed by the time and effort that I have put into trying to restyle jeans I already have so that I don’t have to buy another pair…

I like the first pair and the last pair best.

Can I just whinge for a minute? I clicked on the Great link, and the website is way annoying. You can’t click on “pants,” you have to pick a “collection.” Who has the time for that?

But they did look like nice pants in your picture.

8. AM says:

Does anyone know how The Great is sized? Is it similar to Current/Elliott sizing?

9. Keri Blair says:

Love the last pair! I’m so excited that the flare jean is back.

Keri

10. REbeccaNYC says:

love the high rise crop. I come from the 70’s and I don’t remember anyone wearing those. Perhaps a little earlier? Or I just did not hang with a fashionable crowd. (well…I did’t…I was a choir nerd)

11. Daisy says:

I love the solid dark wash by The Great. So cute…

12. Kristie says:

i would love to try on the pair from the second image but the link goes to a different pair!

13. lori says:

always love your taste/choices, although I am it in your demographic!! 🙂 Now off to hunt for options that ordinary ladies like me can afford!

14. Suzanne says:

Obsessed with The Great. Am really into the Nerd jeans! Shipping, duties & the exchange rate are killers for us north of the border but selection is limited up here so may just have to do it anyways! If anyone tries The Great denim, please report back re fit!! Thx!

I love the look of the crops, but I don’t get why they are showing up for the Fall season. No one shows them with boots, so I don’t get their (lack of) timeliness for the weather.

16. junglesiren says:

I love the first pair but at $265 they won’t be on my bootie any time soon. Jesus Christ that’s an expensive pair of jeans… I will search high and low for a pair that looks close enough but isn’t a budget buster… Anyone got any recommendations? Something under $150?

As for the wide-legged cropped jeans… really not for everyone. Sure wear what you like just know they make your legs look a lot shorter and if you’ve got hips (real lady hips) the silhouette you’ll be carrying around does you no favors.