Tuesday 23rd May 2017

Three actually cool sports bras

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 11.58.58 AM

Of course I am absolutely dying for this one from Mara Hoffman.

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 12.14.41 PM

And here’s a rather sexy option from a line called Michi that pretty much specializes in sexy sports bras.

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 12.44.13 PM

If Missoni made a sports bra, it would pretty much look like this one from Sweaty Betty.

Posted on July 28th, 2015 23 Comments

1. Deb Harris-Balling says:

None work for anyone over a size 10. Throw us a bone from time to time, yes?

• DelawareDeb says:

Ha! I am blown away, though, by the print on the Mara Hoffman and it’s placement on the back of the bra.

2. Rachel Anderson says:

Alas, for the big-breasted (which is, I understand, relative) these just don’t work. It’s a matter of simple physics. For those whose a) cervical spines are nearly a half-century old and don’t like X-back bras b) have bigger breasts and c) don’t want a uniboob … may I suggest you try a Panache Sport bra. Unfortunately, I don’t enjoy the colors. But the bra beats out everyone I’ve tried (and I have tried many.)

• Kate says:

Title 9 has a lot of options, too — especially if you’re a runner and need major support. I wear less supportive sports bras if I’m doing something less… bouncy.

• Viajera says:

Thanks for the hot tips! I’d never heard of either company. Right now I am doing low-impact, but who knows I may jog again someday.

Size issues aside, the Michi is very cute.

I am a bit on the fence though about going shirtless. How are straight men supposed to know when to get excited if we all go around half naked all the time? Methinks it could lead to visual overload and boredom, which I assume is *not* what we’re after? (I have a similar issue with CFM shoes at work.)

It is cute though!

4. Claire says:

It is totally hideous, but this is the only bra I have found that comes close to working as well as the much-loved, much-lamented Old Style Fiona from Title Nine. I am 34G (ugh) and it works for me. I wish that companies would make powerful sports bras that actually look nice, but having one that works is good enough for me right now.

• Viajera says:

That one looks good too! I can’t deal with the racerback style – it pulls on my neck.

• Barbara says:

Right there with you, Claire. This is my go-to sports bra in the same size. Ugh indeed.

I love all of these, but would wear none of them. Where I work out even the beautiful young fit-as-a-fiddle ballet dancers wear tops that cover stomachs.

I wear Title Nine work out tops (tank tops with built in bras) because they have cotton in them.

6. pamb says:

Another plea from the big boobed. These are for the smaller ladies, and they deserve pretty bras, too. But it takes much more underwriting/support/structure PLUS the pretty for it to work for us. Maybe it doesn’t exist, which is sad. But I’ll be over here in my granny Wacoal’s sighing, but at least feeling supported.

7. Hannah says:

I’ve never once considered going with just my sports bra to exercise, but I’ve never once let that stop me from trying to find the cutest sports bra around. Alas, when you’re really bouncing around you’ve got to get the big, ugly, supportive ones.

8. Barbara says:

Sigh. Those are cute but completely unworkable for this Girl of A Certain Age whose own girls are of a certain age AND size. It’s one of the conundrums of life that the more one needs a sports bra, the fewer options there are to pick from.

9. Kate says:

My favorite high impact sports bra is from Wacoal. I’m a 38DD and this bra gives me enough support for running and trampolining but without uni-boob. It’s wonderful.

10. Mary Alice says:

Not that I’m complaining, but in my next life I want to come back as a B cup.

(I’m a G, which precludes me from wearing about 75% of what I’d like)

11. Just a FYI, the Sweaty Betty yoga bra link takes you to the Michi website.

Very cute bras, but a little too spendy for me. I just refreshed my sports bra collection and bought a few Lululemons (Sweaty or Not & Stuff Your Bra II, both are excellent for running, whatever) & a Zella (the Energy, great for low impact cardio, weights & yoga) from Nordstrom.

I work out with just the sports bra when I do my ab and back exercises, I want to check my form and see if I’m making any progress/muscle gains. It’s a confidence booster for me and makes me work harder at the gym.

• Viajera says:

Good point! I hadn’t thought of that. At my gym the weight room is so crowded you can’t get near a mirror unless you go super early. But I do need to get back in there!

• Carrie says:

I have often wanted to run in just a sports bra when it’s hot out, but no one does that in my city, which is weird, since the girls here often walk around with their buttcheeks hanging out of short shorts. I saw it in California all the time, though.

That said, I personally find the fancy workout clothes trend silly. When I am sweating and making grunty faces, the last thing I want is to call attention to myself by what I’m wearing.

12. Gleemonex says:

Yes — these are cute, but not for the big of boob. I’m a 36D myself, and need serious bounce stoppage (runner, bootcamp, etc.).

My go-to, and in fact my only, brand is Moving Comfort (which is now Brooks Running). Wild colors, cute styles, and the Jubralee is a miracle in sports-bra form.

13. Judy says:

I see that many of us here are busty. (I am a 32G, down from a 36G.). Please, please, Kim … find us some tops that will work for us and not make us look big as a house!

• Gleemonex says:

Yeah, that thing where a shirt that looks great on a smaller-chested woman will hang off your giant boob shelf and make you look like your own grandma? Been trying to work around that since I was about thirteen. 🙁

14. Larissa says:

Yes to Moving Comfort! 34DD and training for a marathon- keeps the girls in place- although I do long for the cute sports bras.

Cute workout clothes help me feel like I’m still me- even after sweaty, long runs. It’s funny how my minimalistic style rules expand a bit for running clothes (pattern!) but the color palette remains the same.

15. Lorimac says:

A little late on this post, but my problem with sports bras is getting in and out of them. By the time I have wrestled the girls into one, I feel like I have already finished the workout, and try to peel out of one when you are all hot, sweaty and tired. Have you ever found one that clips up the front? That would be my dream sports bra!