Sunday 17th December 2017

Cheap and chic of the week

skinny chino

These skinny chinos remind me extremely much of the rather perfect Crippen trousers that I bought back in the spring and have worn to death. They even come in the same grey.

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 9.23.53 PM

And while we’re it it, here’s an added extra cheap and chic: I met a woman earlier in the summer named Liz, and she had the most dead-on tomboy style, and wore these canvas sneakers from Seavees, a brand of which I had never heard. Of course I copied her. They’re insanely comfortable, and I don’t feel like I’m clomping around in them, as I have in the past with other slide sneakers.

cutoff shorts

And one more thing (because yes, I am feeling guilty about posting those pricey cutoffs on Friday that seem to have hit a nerve with some of you): these.

Posted on July 27th, 2015 16 Comments

1. Helen says:

Can you please fix the chinos link?

2. Susanna says:

And also the Seavees, please! Thanks!

3. KimFrance says:

Both fixed! Apologies.

Also the Gap seems to be having a 40% off sale so the shorts should be even less expensive, yes?

Ordering the chinos and the Seavees.

Excellent selection all around.

5. ljchicago says:

You shouldn’t feel guilty AT ALL. If you can afford $178 jean shorts, buy them! One of the many reasons I read your blog is that commenters like “Erin” are few and far between. Actually, that’s the first really mean thing I’ve ever read on here. Your readers don’t always agree, but they are intelligent and have healthy discussions about those disagreements.

• y.k. says:

i completely agree.

• Maria says:

I think if all of the recs were very expensive, it would make me sad and possibly less likely to read the blog. But Kim always tries to give us high AND low, aspirational and affordable, and that makes it fun. I don’t mind seeing cool things I can’t afford, because it is always balanced by cool things I can afford, as well as the best pop culture/real culture/internet culture coverage.

This blog makes me happy regularly. Just wanted to say that!

6. Mae says:

Please join me in the practice of ignoring anyone who tells me I spent too much on anything– such a buzzkill. I mean, it follows that if you’ve been buying jeans that cost more than $100, you’d buy jean shorts in that price range as well, right? Just because something’s casual doesn’t mean you should pay less for it — you’ll wear it/wash it more and that’s where high quality pays off.

7. KimFrance says:

You guys are the best. xx

• Maria says:

I feel as though I should admit that today I’m wearing those overly spendy Ray&Bone espadrille wedges you posted last year. And I’m pretty darn happy about my overly spendy-ness last summer, since they still make me happy this summer.

Thanks!

8. Suzanne says:

The comment section is always part of the fun when I revisit posts you’ve done. That comment was just nasty. Keep doing what you’re doing. It’s real & it’s you.

9. Jen says:

Like previously mentioned, I visit your site for ideas and inspiration. Our clothing budgets differ by a few zero’s, but I don’t mind. You have a great eye, and share items that to me seem to be timeless while flirting with a bit of trend. Perfect for this girl of a certain age. If I like a look you shared (or another style blogger, for that matter) I will work to recreate it with the resources I have.

For instance, those SeaVees were exactly what I was looking for. I, too, was unfamiliar with the brand. Love them. I found a cute little gray suede pair at 6pmdotcom for $36. Victory!

Please don’t change a thing.