Monday 23rd January 2017

Things I bought, things I want; all in grey

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 9.14.48 AM

I hesitated before pulling the trigger on this linen tee, because it cost more than a tee should cost. But I’m so glad I went for it anyway: it hangs really elegantly, and—because it’s on the sheer side—looks fantastic with a hint of black bra peeking out underneath. If you’re into that type of thing.

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 9.18.20 AM

I could wear my new Crippen skinny trousers every day, and on my recent trip out west, all but did: they are so much more flattering on me than jeans that they make me wonder why I bother with jeans in the first place,and have a nice amount of stretch without looking all stretchy. They’re sold out in almost every size almost everywhere online, so you might want to try this also rather slim-cut pair from Emerson Fry, or these, which are from J. Brand and nicely on sale.

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 10.33.58 AM

If there was any way in the world I could justify buying yet another pair of sneakers, it would be these sneakers.

Posted on May 28th, 2015 35 Comments

1. Amy says:

I love Emerson Fry — thanks for the introduction via your caftan post of a year or so ago. What is the sizing on the tee?

• deborah says:

oh, yes, I’d love to know about Emerson Fry’s sizing too. That T is so great, like a less post-apocalyptic Raquel Allegra (maybe a pre-apocalyptic Raquel Allegra?). *All* of these choices are perfect.

• KimFrance says:

I think their sizing on tops and outerwear is pretty on point—which is to say, if you’re a size 8, you’ll take a size 8—but I’ve never ordered pants so I can’t speak to that.

2. Mary Alice says:

I love the tee, but that does bring up a question, Kim: Is this a thing, or am I just getting old? I cannot count the number of tops I have tried on and then , with a sigh, put back on the shelf or returned because you can CLEARLY see bra underneath. I know, I know – I could wear a cami, but I live in LA and another layer of clothing sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it? Last week in NYC, I had to duck into American Apparel and buy an emergency cami, because my daughter gently pointed out the in sunlight by bra was clearly visible through my Vince tee.
    Sorry for the rant.

• Colleen says:

So true Mary Alice! I have been having the same issue with white summer tunics. I’d like them to be light enough to withstand New Orleans heat, but opaque enough so as not to serve as a peep show. Who wants to add a cami when it’s 103 degrees?!? Or see the belt/waistline of your pants clearly through the fabric. Ugh. T shirts are also sooooo tough to sort through. I’ve had the best luck at a reasonable price with some Zara linen T’s from a couple years back. Also love James Perse. Still, I will need to find another stash soon.

• Colleen says:

Also, Kim……love the Emerson Fry T. Everything on that site is great. It’s always money well spent when it’s EXACTLY what you’re looking for, and you know you will reach for it so often that you’ll question why you didn’t stockpile them!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Or worse yet, my tummy fold! Horrors!!!

• Barbara says:

My favorite James Perse ts are also thin, and most of the time I don’t care that my black bra is visible. When I do, a Jockey Supersoft Cami or the Total Tank camis do the trick without inducing a meltdown.

• Viajera says:

Uniqlo has been running ads about some new airflow-y fabric that is supposedly not too hot or cold. Anyone try it yet?

• Jaime says:

EXACTLY. Thank you, Mary Alice! I thought the same thing when I saw this tee (*love it*) but share your frustration with slub knits, most linen, and similar thin fabrics that result in too much bra exposure for my liking. And, yes, the textile/clothing folks seem to be making more items with these fabrics and I can’t for the life of me understand why. I’d gladly shell out full price for this tee if it wasn’t so sheer.

• Jennifer says:

Not to mention the fabric being so thin makes it very prone to holes! I wonder if it might not partially be a cost thing, at least for the major brands… Less weight to the fabric means a slightly lower cost for materials which adds up when you’re producing thousands of shirts, and must also save a little on shipping costs from overseas factories…

3. Fishmonkey says:

I love Crippen! I have a pair of their (her?) pants in lightweight wool, and they are amazing — comfy and really well-cut.

4. joannawnyc says:

I HAVE THOSE SNEAKERS!

• joannawnyc says:

Sorry for the capslock, I got excited.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Do you like them? (silly question given the “all caps”!)

• joannawnyc says:

I do like them! A lot. I have gray boots and flats and wear them often, I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out that gray sneakers would be equally useful.

I did have to go down a half size though. My usual size (7.5) was just too long.

I like that tee shirt. Amazing they can do that with linen. I wonder what they do to it. I can see a thin weave, but how do they get it to drape?

6. Tammy says:

Crippen pants = swoon-worthy. Wow, those are gorgeous. And so are the boots the model is wearing in the pants photo.

I love it all, especially the shoes and pants, but the neckline on the tee would make me look like a linebacker. Maybe a Raquel Allegra instead?

• Rachel says:

I have the same linebacker problem with that kind of neckline. (I keep trying to re-frame it as “Olympic Swimmer” since my daughter inherited the same broad shoulders and upper back, but really, sometimes the impression is nothing but “linebacker”. 🙂 ) In the meantime, I’ll check out what Raquel Allegra has to offer…

• y.k. says:

another linebacker here. cant do short necklaces either

8. pamb says:

I just bought a pair of grey Superego sneakers for cheap in April! Right on trend, for once 😉

9. Barbara says:

I’ve been having an extended gray moment, too. Perhaps making up for the gray I keep camouflaging in my hair?

• Dana D says:

Ha, Barbara…funny…

I keep wondering why I do not dig gray in apparel/accessory and I think it is because I stopped coloring my hair!!! While I have made peace with my decision, your analysis makes such sense! Thank you!

10. Gleemonex says:

Goddammit, every time I read this blog, I end up BUYING THINGS …

The trousers, I love, but that’s out of my price range — however, I found what I hope will be a good stand-in on Banana Republic, so! Thanks? I guess? 😉

11. Heather says:

I’d love a pair of little grey jeans. I found a pair I loved a couple years ago, that Pilcro house brand from Anthro, and didn’t buy them… regretted ever since.

12. Beth says:

And the Crippen’s are sold out. Already! I’d love a blast on summer trousers.

Quick note…those wonderful Puma’s are “unisex” size which means they are “men’s” sizes.

Also, I just had an interesting experience that Kim might be able to shed some light upon…I was in a Banana Republic store browsing when I came across a delightful little jacket the smallest of the “regular” size didn’t fit properly then I found the exact same jacket in the “petite” section which fit perfectly. The “regular” jacket was on sale for $119. the EXACT SAME JACKET in “petite” was marked at the regular price of $150. I took the petite jacket to the check-out counter and asked if the “petite” jackets were really at full price when the “regular” jackets were on sale and the salesperson said “yes.” I asked if that wasn’t discrimination against “petites” and he said they “always” do that. Really? Is this true? How is this in any way reasonable? I did not buy the jacket.

• Viajera says:

I don’t like this kind of thing, but imo it’s probably legal (though still unreasonable). They can say that they spent more money b/c they had to change the design for petite folk, etc etc etc.

Plus size people get bleeped the same way a lot … at least, when anyone bothers to make their sizes.

Perhaps if we all complain more, something will change. We consumers should flex our muscles more. I still hope/believe/like to imagine that the Gap/BR etc people are trying to treat workers better. Heck, it’s something.

• Viajera says:

Also, weirdly? although no part of me can be called petite, I often think the petite designs look cuter. What is that about? Am I self-hating???? Or, are they actually cuter?

14. jenny says:

I try to wear mostly mid to dark gray bottoms, because I have a 120 lb Bernese Mountain dog and “matching” tri-color Cavalier spaniel (although we also got a white rescue kitten earlier this year, who has stymied all my wardrobe scheme because she’s a snuggler.)
    Gray is much more forgiving of dog hair and saliva than black, and I don’t know how all you chic black-wearing girls do it! One of my friends who had a German Shepard (GS have three coats!) used to store her clothes inside out. ha

• Colleen says:

Just finished doing my floors, and collecting enough hair to construct the likeness of another dog. Killing myself laughing at the inside out storage! Hey, whatever gets you through…….

15. jenny says:

Also, I find that black tops too close to my face can be aging, although I do fine with black scoop necks. Maybe that’s why scarfs and necklace can soften the look.