Tuesday 23rd May 2017

At last, shirtwaist dresses

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 3.01.07 PM

I have never understood why more designers don’t make shirtwaist dresses more of the time: it’s such a winning silhouette—at once crisp and feminine—and one that’s almost universally flattering as well. Finally, this season they’re all over the place, and, I am loving how many have really standout prints. On the top of my I want I want listthis clever black and white number from MM6.

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 3.02.08 PM

The crazy riot of color and pattern here is almost too much, but the careful, tailored cut keeps things in check.

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.33.11 AM

A check print studded with stars: almost too much genius.

Posted on April 29th, 2015 10 Comments

1. Raina says:

Rachel Comey is a goddess. If I were to come into a small lottery win, I would plunder her website.

2. radiogrl says:

Why do I see these as tragically frumpy?

3. Maria says:

At my age and my body type, these types of dresses are always a rather tragic mistake. I look like someone’s middle-aged mom. Of course, I AM someone’s middle-aged mom, but I don’t want that to be my fashion-identification.

4. Laurel says:

Are any budget brands getting in on this? H&M? Zara? I love a fitted shirtdress and have been waiting for them to come back, especially these nicely structured kinds with actual waistlines close to people’s actual waists!

5. i JUST bought the rachel comey one last night! it was a big splurge for me so i’m happy to hear you approve. 🙂

6. Charlotte says:

Shirtdresses are my fav dresses, but don’t have one with a waist. Need one, thanks for the tip.

7. Ita Darling says:

I love this style, and I have a hard time finding them- agree that they are universally flattering and can be styled so many different ways! In the summer I always unbutton with a tank and clog sandals, in the winter you can button up with a cardigan or a blazer and knee high boots.. I have a vintage madras one that always gets resurrected in summer.. can’t wait to wear it again!

8. Ita Darling says:

Forgot to mention I saw a few on Medwinds last night.. this little black one would get a ton of wear..

I’m really torn: I’m tall and long-waisted so shirt dresses with a built-in waist tend to tie at my rib age….UGH! And ones that don’t look like a paper bag on me. I’d like to wear one, though!