Friday 18th August 2017

Top five of the day: basic blacks

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 7.42.47 AM

I will never understand why it is so hard to find a good black button-down. Everlane‘s gets all the details right.

vince boyfriend trousers

The just-right slouchy trousers will take you far.

organic tee

I wear this perfect three-quarter-sleeve tee even as I type.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.13.07 PM

A universally flattering A-line with just a touch of asymmetry for interest.

coach trench

A classic trench is perfectly chic, but one in black always strikes me as infinitely more so.

Posted on April 27th, 2015 30 Comments

1. Sharon says:

Everlane almost got it right. Even though the buttons that are fastened are hidden by the placket, the others are not. And they’re white. If the buttons were black, I’d be all over it.

• Viajera says:

Just to be clear, you both prefer a covered button?

I agree buttons should match. But I like buttons. Are buttons “out” now? (Don’t worry about my feelings, I only rarely wear a blouse anyhow… I just like to keep up on things.)

• y.k. says:

i dont know current button fashions but i thought the crisp black everlane would be enhanced by black buttons / its clean look should be uninterrupted by white dots.
          the lack of breast pockets is also nice.

2. Mary Alice says:

What a great capsule wardrobe! I’d take everyone of them and probably wear them to death. Only thing is, the skirt does not come in larger than a size 8. Very frustrating.

3. farha says:

I’d love a grey or navy version of this for summer.

I would love all grey for summer with just yellow or cobalt accessories? Reader’s request for a grey capsule wardrobe or bright spring bags and shoes for summer?

4. Black is well, it’s new black – love all the pieces.

5. Kate says:

I second the request for more navy!

6. Becky says:

That 3/4 length sleeve tee took a flying leap into my cart. It’s a sign – I bought it.

7. Lisa says:

Does anyone have experience with Everlane’s sizing? I usually wear a medium in tops (size 8) but measurements on their website make it seem like I need to order a large. Thanks for any help.

• Judy says:

Lisa, I am maybe a size 6 or 8 but have a large bust. I got the Everlane V neck T in medium and also the “grandpa” cardigan in medium, and they were very good. On the other hand, I had to send back the V neck cashmere sweater in the same size because it was very unflattering, but that was probably because of the boxy fit and my large bust size….

• Judy says:

also I should say that apart from the bust, I am fairly slender (not skinny) … Everlane seems to be made for skinny, flat-chested types so perhaps it varies as per the garment.

• Mary Alice says:

I’ve got a small ribcage but big boobs, and Everlane’s shirts are among the few button up the front shirts that actually fit. I also like their u-neck T shirts, although the quality’s a bit suspect.

• Lisa says:

Thanks so much – like you – I am fairly slender but with a larger bust – appreciate the specifics!

• Lisa says:

I ordered the shirt in medium, just got it – it fits great and looks great. Thanks again for the help!

I’ve been keeping an eye on that Organic by John Patrick top, but does anyone know if it’s slightly oversized? Because I am!

9. Judy says:

And AGAIN, I know I have asked this many times before, BUT
    Kim, you have a loyal fan base that loves your sensibility and your picks and so on … but we do not have your body. Slouchy and boxy to us means we look fat. We need a few bones tossed to us every now and then, a few tops that will look good on busty (not fat probably) types. Please!

• Viajera says:

I think this is a fair request, but having been looking for answers on this very question, I’ve never come up with anything but fitted v-necks, preferably knits. It’s not an exciting answer, but … what do other people do? I kinda think that the potential solutions to the problem are limited inherently. And designers aren’t aiming at that segment I guess. So I don’t even know what could be found. But maybe I’m too pessimistic.

• Judy says:

you are right, Viajera. I think mostly it’s V-necks and knit and fitted. A good top like that would make us look great. And if anyone can come up with good possibilities, it would be Kim. I know Kim is not excited about this topic (right, Kim?) But I think a lot of us loyal readers of this blog would love to hear Kim’s suggestions.

• Viajera says:

Oh, agreed, definitely. Well of course I’m a fan or I wouldn’t hang out here.

I was just trying to express sympathy for the difficulty of the task/keep expectations low — and also, I was fishing, because who knows, maybe someone here has some ideas I haven’t heard of before. It’s one of the many things I’d love to be wrong about.

Of course, I suppose flaunting them would be a third option? ; >

Keep hope alive!!! Keep hope alive!!!! (I love that line.)

10. Melissa says:

Everlane is a frustrating company to deal with. I won’t order from them again.