Sunday 26th February 2017

Three quilty things

quilted sateen

I love the idea of this quilted sateen jacket under a heavier coat now, and on its own later.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 12.23.55 PM

This snappy duffel is under $100 and super-lightweight, and I totally bought one.

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 5.39.03 PM

The notion of a cushy iPhone case appeals.

Posted on March 31st, 2015 11 Comments

We’re supposed to hit 82 degrees today in Austin. Quilted anything is simply not going to happen.

However, if I were on the East Coast I’d have that merlot sateen jacket on my body!

I’ve always avoided Vera Bradley anything because in Texas you receive those flowery Vera Bradley quilted totes when you receive your medicare card. But that duffle looks like a pretty wonderful weekend bag.

I like the coat and phone cover (except for the logo). Nice colors.

I saw a cute Vera Bradley once, at least I think it was hers. It was secondhand on a charity site. Faux brown and white cow (I think– I gather she’s all fabric), with rhinestones. I got all excited but then forgot to bid. Ooooops. Not really my style anyway I guess (and not her usual thing either, actually. If she’s an actual person, no idea.) Still, rhinestones!

The other thing I find myself drawn to are those decor stores that are all white furniture, florals and Parisian-y street market-y things. I love to go in those places, but so far I haven’t brought any home. Still I can feel the approach of some sort of floral for the home. Oh dear.

3. y.k. says:

these 3 all cool applications of quilting.

i had no idea there was a name behind those quilted bags – have to agree w/ c.w. – i just can’t disassociate those totes with AARP. not that i’m not aarp age myself.

yes, rhinestones on a quilted bag would be a mesmerizing mashup.

i like the tangent you went off on viajera.

4. Mary Alice says:

Funny to read the association of Vera Bradley with old ladies – If you’ve ever seen a group of sorority girls traveling together, every last one of them is carrying a Vera Bradley quilted duffle bag.

• Heather says:

Exactly!! In the South they’re very sorority girl. I DO really like this black bag. I wonder if it’s possible to pop the label off?

@ Viajera: that’s hilarious, I’ve always wondered, also, if Vera Bradley is a real person – or if, like Carolyn Keene, she has more of a collective identity.

• c.w. says:

Yes, you DO see sorority girls carrying those Vera’s here in Texas as well, but because my Muther had/has them my first association is as an accompaniment to pastel elastic waist polyester pants with a bejeweled top.

• KimFrance says:

Sadly, not possible to pop the label off. I tried.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

….in their Lily Pulitzer pink and green.

Love the jacket, but I [finally] know my body after 54 years, and while I’m tall, I’m not blessed with a waistline like my daughters (Where the hell did THAT come from?!? But in a comical twist of fate, they got my boobs…or lack thereof…MUAHAHA!!!), so I avoid short and boxy like the plague. Any advice on how to make it work? I’ve tried a long tank or shirt as an underlayer, and it just feels disingenuous to me.

6. Charlotte says:

I am obsessed with the colour of the silky jacket – pink red/ masala. It makes everything look so expensive.