Friday 26th May 2017

Back to the land of the living

of a kind rain jacket

I had forgotten how exhausting and isolating and more than anything just supremely boring being sick can be, and even though I can not say that I am feeling just 1000 percent just yet, I hate staying away from all of you for too long. I’ve started venturing out of the house for activities other than walking the dog again, and here is what I’ve noted out in the world: rain, and lots of it. So here are some cute pieces of water-resistant outerwear for your delectation. I am crazy for this jacket by Bridge and Burn—it’s got a striped lining on the sleeves and an even cuter one on the body that you can see if you click through.

J Crew rain jacket

The boxy fit and light weight of this J Crew jacket appeals.

barbour nordstrom

A new Barbour obsession: the layered collar is rather fantastic.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 3.00.22 PM

Wicked splurgy but so sharp: this option from Canada Goose.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 3.33.16 PM

A nice, cheap chic option from Ann Taylor Loft.

Posted on March 27th, 2015 34 Comments

1. Glad to hear you’re feeling better, Kim. I really like the Loft jacket the most, the navy and cinched waist do it for me.

2. y.k. says:

I love the first2, a fresh silhouette!
    MiSsed you!

3. kristie says:

Welcome back!

4. Dana says:

Glad you are back!

5. Leslie says:

Nice to see you’re back. I’m probably not the only friend-you’ve-never-met who was starting to get a teeny bit worried.

6. Paula says:

Glad you are back – funny relationship with a total stranger but i kept checking to see if you were ok. Thank you for your website. Not only do we all probably feel like we are your friend and were worried, but there is a shocking lack of good sites and blogs for normal (if slightly cool) people to start our days for us.

7. Hannah says:

yay, glad to hear you’re recovering!

As for rain gear, I live in a cold, rainy, and WINDY coastal city…all rain gear is practically worthless. The wind always prevails. You can totally forget about umbrellas. If you only have a rain jacket, your pants are soaked. If you’ve got the whole suit, it has to be big enough to fit all your warm weather gear on underneath. And then of course you start to sweat/freeze, and are basically wet from the inside out and/or freezing to death. It’s enough to consider moving…but the summers here are amazing 🙂

• Viajera says:

So, not that it’s any of my biz, but where do you live? It sounds kind of marvy. I like wind and rain, probably because we hardly get any here in LA.

Also, what do you think of all these newfangled sports fabrics? I keep hearing about polyesters that breathe, and wick, and do somersaults, and for the most part I haven’t bitten. (I don’t really need them as of yet, though I am very curious.) I would have thought rain gear would be a ripe target for these new fabrics.

8. blackbird says:

Glad you’re feeling better!

9. Diane says:

Like a commenter above I too was getting a bit worried, though I don’t even know you outside the digital world! Welcome back — I was recently reminded of how boring it is to be sick in bed. So glad the worst is behind you.

Hurrah, hurrah, you’re back!!! Good job.

Ah, rain. I wish we had rain. Of course, there can be too much of a good thing. Harrumph. Great jackets.

11. Cedar says:

These are cute, all of them, and I love the bridge and burn one. But I’ve given up on rainwear that isn’t close to knee length. Cute cropped rain coats shed water directly on my thighs; since I walk everywhere, including to work, that’s just not okay. (I also live in a city where rainy=windy, so an umbrella is equally useless.)

Four years ago I acquired a tailored, knee-length Merrell car coat that, paired with rain boots, can survive the deluge. My proof that it is indeed excellent is how many fashionably attired women in London asked me where I got it.

12. Kimberly says:

Hope you get feeling 1000% very soon! Great coats!

13. Debra says:

So glad you’re on the mend! Nothing more frustrating and boring than being sick and the daily loop of bed, bathroom, sofa, kitchen, and back to bed.

14. Glad you’re feeling better! I also was checking in almost every day and wondering when you’d post again. Have a great weekend!!

p.s. thought you’d enjoy reading this on my blog. A story about a husband-and-wife design duo. They make the most beautiful leather handbags here in Cleveland.

15. Martina says:

Glad you’re on the mend…pneumonia can knock the life out of you for quite a while. I agree with the commenters above…it’s odd to worry about someone you’ve never met, but I missed your voice!

I’m really liking the one from Loft, probably because I already have an olive cargo/military jacket.
    Truly, Kim, don’t push it! Take it easy and recover fully with lots of sleep. Boring, Yes, but necessary.

17. Alejandra says:

This is day two for me, in bed with the flu, so I’m glad you’re almost recovered. We had another day of snow last week and now we’re having 65 degree days coming up, so these jackets are a welcome sight for sick and sore eyes.

18. Donna says:

Ugh, I hate being sick! Glad to hear that you’re feeling a bit better. I’ve been looking at raincoats lately. My favorite of the ones above is the Ann Taylor LOFT one. I was surprised, I usually like the most expensive option. It was snowing tonight so I think I have a little more time to choose a rain coat.

So happy to return from a short trip to find you back online! Very glad you are feeling better and may your progress toward full-on health continue!!

Bought a Barbour jacket earlier this year (was inspired to do so by one of your postings!) and must say I feel all English Countryside, but slightly Brooklyn hipster when wearing it. Your choices are always spot on!

Cheerio (or as my daughter used to say when much much younger, “Cherry Ho” which, needless to say, takes on far different connotations)

20. Accidental Icon says:

Glad you are up and about. Just started reading your blog and love it. I like the modern look of the Canada Goose but have to agree with some of the other readers that I need at least a knee length rain jacket. I recently found a brand I love, modern and utilitarian and beast of all warm and dry: Stutterheim. The PR is very clever and there is a good story attached to the brand.

Accidental Icon

21. Linda Kenyon says:

Please take good care of yourself….slow and steady! Pneumonia is sneaky…

22. I wanted to check back in and tell you I bought the cute little J.Crew jacket up top. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn’t have looked at it otherwise.