Monday 25th September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Not all fashion week street style is crazypants

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.38.05 PM

This young lady looks rather great, and for me it’s all about the interesting proportions created by that big old hulking scarf.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.41.16 PM

Just like this one from Emerson Fry that I’ve had my eye on for ages.

Posted on February 24th, 2015 19 Comments

I love the big hulking scarves––the Emerson Fry one was a gift to my daughter this past xmas, but she is tall and slender and I am short and stumpy. I worry that if I wore one I’d look like some demented troll from a Grimm Fairy Tale.

Any thoughts on hulking scarf proportions for the vertically challenged set?

2. CJ says:

I love these chunky scarves – any knitters out there know some good patterns? Should be a quick knit (although costly with all that yard!)

• Michele H. says:

Just go online to Ravelry.com and look for scarf patterns, you’ll find tons. Or just find a chunky yarn that you want to use and do the entire thing in garter stitch (every single stitch on every single row is the basic “knit” stitch”. Beware that it will be heavy and cumbersome in your hands the longer it gets!

• y.k. says:

yes i must join the chorus on this one – knitting your own chunky scarf is supereasy and gratifying. and there is a whole wide world of gorgeous yarns.

Buy two!!!

4. Peas and Carrots says:

Knitting a big chunky scarf is super easy! Just do what Michele H. says. You can knit a luxury scarf like the Emerson Fry one for about half the price (not including the price of your labor).

I think I need to make friends with my knitting neighbor

6. joannawnyc says:

I think the tonality is a big part of the appeal, too. I think I need an ivory one now!

7. Michele H. says:

If anyone does decide to make one for themselves, I highly recommend a heathered yarn. Find a really chunky one, or use several strands of yarn together. When the light is just right, heathered yarns just glow, like a dark opal…much more interesting than a flat color!

• Viajera says:

I am loving the knitting advice here, though or perhaps because I won’t be getting to a project for quite some time. But I love thinking about the idea of one. Heathered yarn!!!! Excitement.

8. Mae says:

Amen to non-crazypants street style, honestly. I’m reading “Gods and Kings” about McQueen and Galliano and those guys were directly responsible for fashion becoming theater instead of a personal daily pleasure.

• y.k. says:

had not heard of this. sounds interesting.

• Mae says:

“Gods and Kings: The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano” by Dana Thomas.

• Suz says:

Oooh. That is going on my list. Thank you!

I miss real fashion and style. Theatricality gets dull when thats all there is.

• Viajera says:

I’ve got to go with cognitive dissonance on this issue. I like that fashion shows are really art shows. It’s a lot of creativity and it creates what I hope are good jobs (at least some of them?)

Of course, it has little to do with what I actually end up wearing. (That Prada shedevil character notwithstanding.) And I find the prose that goes with the pictures unbearable, for the most part. I never know what they’re on about. That is probably my fault, I don’t have the memory space to store the various permutations of this and that over the last X years.

It can be kind of fun to watch though. I do wish they’d stop starving the models, too. But overall I am a sucker for that argument about the weirdo teenager stuck in some s-kicking little town in the middle of wherever, who needs food to dream. (No offense to rural people – I”m sure there are lots of small towns that aren’t intolerant. We just never hear about them.)

9. Mae says:

(Kim, my way of saying thank you for finding style that’s just plain beautiful. Keeps a girl motivated. -Mae)

10. Natalie says:

First pic is the gorgeous Nicole Warner from the Gary Pepper Girl blog – her style is incredible and never crazypants.

11. TucsonDiva says:

I love the insouciance — her boots and the way she is walking are particularly cool, and I agree about the tonality. I’m not tall or thin enough to not also look like a demented troll (LOVE the imagery!), but I think that general feel is something I want to try. Kim, can you suggest ways to achieve that look for us gals 5’6″, 150 pounds? I just love this blog and have been really enjoying reading the comments too.

12. lorna mai says:

I’m no knitter but I would love to have a great big chunky knit scarf but will probably wait now Winter comes round again. I love the tip from Michelle about using strands together!

Lorna Mai Blog