Saturday 18th November 2017

Monday links

patricia

• In case you missed it: Patricia Arquette’s feminist throwdown of an acceptance speech from last night’s Oscars. (The Cut)
  • And because it only seems right: a slideshow from the red carpet. (Vulture)
  • Oh my God, this. (Laughing Squid)
  • School cafeteria lunches from around the world, and Italy’s in particular puts ours to shame. (Visual News)
  • This drone footage of frozen Niagra Falls is way trippy. (Time)
Posted on February 23rd, 2015 16 Comments

Those percussionist kids! Made my day!

The school lunches looked so delicious! Except for the US. I wonder if kids in other countries eat more of their school lunches than our kids do?

Is it me or was last night’s Oscars the most boring ever––even the red carpet dresses seemed doomed to mediocrity. Perhaps I shouldn’t voice this, but it also seemed so many women’s hips had grown a size or four––NOT that there is anything wrong with that!––but most of the actresses looked…wider than usual––and again, nothing wrong with that!!!! Maybe I feel this way because I watched without the benefit of Whoopers.

Patrica Arquette was on point on stage, but apparently afterwards backstage her remarks were lacking. I’m chalking up the backstage segment to adrenaline and excitement.

• Mockingbird says:

I completely get why her backstage remarks were incorrect, but I really wish the feminist sphere at large was as willing to credit adrenaline and nerves. She’s being torn apart for saying the wrong thing on an issue she’s fought for and spoken out for pretty well in other places. I get why intersectionality is important, truly I do, but it seems too often like people cry out about it and make the perfect the enemy of the good. Her words backstage were imperfect, but it was pretty clear in the totality of what she’s said on the issue that she did not mean what people are saying came across. We wonder why more women in the public sphere don’t speak up on feminism and issues of equality, and then when they do, they get attacked for not doing it perfectly. Arquette spoke out about wage inequality in America in front of one of the largest *international* tv and press audiences around, that’s a pretty big win for coverage of the issue. Let’s build on that rather than tear her down.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

It might be your TV, c.w.
      We have a feature called “Normal/Stretch/Zoom” and every once in awhile, we have to reset it to Normal. But personally, I like to watch awards shows on “Stretch,” cuz even Gwyneth looks chubby.

2. Omg those school kids. That was AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing.

3. AmyM says:

Those kids are fantastic! And the big smiles at the end? Did me in. They deserve far better than chicken nuggets and a fruit cup.

The kids ROCK…literally! How cool is that?!? My daughter’s friends, “The Far East Fiddlers,” did ‘Kashmir’ on violins at the East Hampton High School Holiday concert and it was great, but I think these kids have them beat.
    I want to go to school in France, by the way.
    And thank you, Patricia Arquette, for speaking your mind…uncensored and slightly imperfect, but totally on-point!

5. Ljchicago says:

Our school lunches are crap because the schools feed the kids what they are used to eating. At home, in restaurants, at school, it’s a kids’ world and they want chicken fingers, pizza, and mac and cheese because that’s what we give them. We have to get away from the idea that kids won’t eat what adults eat. If we don’t offer the good stuff to them, of course they won’t!

6. Dana D says:

On a different note, am I the only one who did not like either Naomi or Gwyneth’s dresses? Ugh, tube tops and shoulder flowers?

Sienna and Kate, on the other hand, looked dignified and elegant…

No one asked me, I know…

7. y.k. says:

yes Gwyneth ‘s shoulder flower was like a radioactive corsage gone nuts. reminded me of sarah j parker top from sex&city days with overgrown flower on the chest. hate to be so neg but well giant flowers aren’t my thing.