Thursday 22nd June 2017

How I spent my snow day

pretty snow

I woke up in the very tiniest hours of Tuesday morning—right around when we were supposed to be experiencing the eye of Blizzard 2015 here—to see that it wasn’t snowing even a speck. But there was a pretty dusting over the streets, and the travel ban had turned the city into a ghost town. So I didn’t sleep for a few hours, and instead just sat up in the living room—two walls of which are windows—and enjoyed the kind of deathly calm my little corner of downtown never knows. Then snow plows came, and after that a rogue car or two, and as the sun rose, I spied a few early risers in the park across the street, and felt a sudden urge to walk the pretty virgin snow before it became ugly New York City snow. So I suited up the dog and put on my snow boots and the hulking, ugly industrial-strength parka I pull out on days when it’s really messy out and I especially don’t give a shit, and off we went. And then I came back home and passed out for a few hours.

Later, I went out searching for signs of life, and found more than I had perhaps bargained for in Nolita: stylish people in well-cut winter gear were out on the streets, in the stores, having coffee with one another and looking altogether smart. Did I mention that the industrial-strength parka is one size too big—adding a good ten pounds to my frame—and comes to my shins? And that my hairstyle was basically my hat? I had a sudden attack of giving a shit, and headed south on Mott Street to less perilously stylish environs. Which put me right in the path of No. 6, on whose website I had spied some surpassingly cute clogs just hours earlier. I was in no mood to encounter the stylish shopgirls and customers of No. 6, but I pressed on. And learned a little something about myself: the vain part of my brain doesn’t stand a change when pitted against the acquisitive part.

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 4.36.59 PM

I won’t be able to wear them for months, but are they not adorable?

Posted on January 28th, 2015 21 Comments

1. Meegan says:

Well done! They are indeed adorable, more so on a bitterly cold, snowed-up day.

2. Zoë Ivory says:

Very nice purchase. I love all the clogs at No. 6! I may have to get the same pair for Spring/Summer. I’m just a little concerned about the platform & heel. I’ve wiped out being overly ambitious in that department more than once and alcohol wasn’t always involved. That may have had a certain oops charm at 20, but it’s not at all cute at 40.

3. Eloise says:

The acquistive part of my brain (all too) often slays the vain part of my brain,as well.

4. Caroline says:

Super cute. First 50 degree day and I’d be taking them for a whirl.
    Also, now I kind of want a pair!

5. Heather says:

I want a pair too, but way too dangerous. The wood doesn’t bend, I can’t feel the street, and next thing you know I am flat on my ass in a cobblestone Tribeca street….or actually, I don’t even need an obstacle to trip me, I would do it even on a perfectly smooth street. What’s the secret to walking in these???

Love these. Like the silver cuffs from yesterday…want.

7. Ann says:

Now that I’m “A girl of a certain age”, I am terrified that I’d would wipe out. Had a fashion accident about 4 years ago and fell off my Kork-Ease platform sandals and broke my shoulder in three places…… What’s the secret to walking in the No. 6 clogs? I love them. Truly the cutest shoes out there.

8. Paisley says:

I just saw these on the website the other day (Monday night of the storm) while double checking to make sure that $175 for a pair of their motorcycle clog boots on Ebay was indeed a bargain. This past summer, I scored another pair of platform sandals (by No. 6) from Bird for a mere $75. AND I have two pair of shearling clogs. So anyway, I saw these…and fell in love…but one must realistically ask herself–how many pairs of No. 6 clogs in a closet constitutes insanity and compulsive shopping? Ugh…well, here’s hoping they’re on sale at Bird after the smoke of summer clears.

9. Dana says:

These clogs remind me of my most favorite ones I had in second grade; needless to say, I really want them.

10. Joannawnyc says:

i spent my snow day working (at home). I like your snow day better!

11. Sarah says:

Beautiful picture!! And I think we have the same industrial-strength parka!

Haha! Love your description of your change of heart. And, man, can I relate! Gorgeous pic of NYC!

13. Jill says:

“I had a sudden attack of giving a shit”

Oh, this invariably happens to me when I decide to down-glam and NOT make the effort (I’m usually the more over-dressed or over-accessorized among my friends / family, which is just how I like it) and then of course everyone else looks seemingly FAB and I am schlumpy.

That phrase sums it up perfectly.

Glad you got some quiet time in the snowfall…I think those moments, sometimes brief, sometimes unexpected, are to be savored and appreciated, and used as a bulwark against the times when everything is frenzied and exhausting. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

14. y.k. says:

— on suddenly giving a shit-I’ve often regretted not pulling myself together before public forays, I’ve never regretted doing so. er, uh you know what i mean.
    — I’ve been circling no.6 for a while and the comfort factor is still a question. i’ve heard fans rave (here) -but that sole seems so unforgiving. on the other hand nurses swear by dansko (also clogs but w/o the no.6 excellent look (or height)). I’m getting close. (I’m in asia so cant risk a pricey shipping cost mistake).
    — last-you’ll always think if them as your nyc snowstorm clogs which is kind of nice.

• Kristin says:

I have Danskos. They are terribly, unforgivably ugly. I only wear them when I have foot issues and I spend all day thinking about how ugly they are. Get No6.

15. Judy says:

Those are indeed cute but I am glad I am not a clog girl. (I think I am from the generation between the hippie clog types and the hipster clog types.) I tend to fall and break bones and do not want to risk it! But if you can manage them, Kim (and others), more power to you!

16. Yolanda says:

No 6 makes a nice low wedge which can still be a bit treacherous but less so than the ones pictured.