Thursday 22nd June 2017

The scarf that makes it easy to knot a scarf like a French girl

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 10.05.07 AM

This silk and cashmere scarf from Chan Luu is so perfect I own two—one in black, one in blue—and they are literally the only scarves I ever wear. They’re super-warm but really lightweight, and go with literally everything I own.

knot scarf

They’ve also allowed even me—because I am usually no good at this type of finessing—to  knot like I know what I’m doing. Here’s my personal trick, although you might find one that works better for you: first of all, but of course, make sure the scarf is in diamond, and not square, formation. Next, wrap the entire thing from one side—instead of draping the scarf over your neck and producing two halves of equal length. Wrap like you’re creating layers of a cake, and keep wrapping until there is just barely enough scarf left to knot. Then knot it low and to the side. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get it right the first time—you don’t think those French chicks practice in front of the mirror too?

Posted on November 25th, 2014 26 Comments

1. Junglesiren says:

Well thanks for the tip on not double wrapping. I shall try that maneuver.

2. Tammy says:

Do you leave a small tail at one side when you’re wrapping … so it can be knotted?

3. Ann says:

You lost me at “diamond, and not square, formation”. I can figure that out on a square scarf, but this isn’t square 🙁

4. ??? I think we need a video of this technique.

I’m lost too!!! How can you wrap a scarf all from one side? Are you winding the whole (halved? was it a square and then you made it a triangle? or is it a square and you hold it by the corners, making it a diamond?) thing around and then tucking in the end?

However, it was very nice of you to try. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

6. Michele says:

Video would be great!

7. Lesa says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t follow this explanation – I got lost at the layer cake analogy.

8. KimFrance says:

Oh guys I’m sorry. Tried to make it as simple as I could. If I can attach a video I will.

9. edie says:

Maybe I can take a crack at this. I know it’s not square–it’s a rectangle. But still, take hold of the corners that are diagonally opposite, like upper right and lower left. Then it will be sort of diamond-shaped. That gives you the longest “shape” to work with, so, maximum wrapability.

Now, leaving a little tail sitting on or near your shoulder, like 6 inches, wrap the rest of the scarf fairly loosely around and around your neck until you can’t wrap any further and you have just enough left for a one-twist knot with the little tail you left at the beginning. The knot will be off-center and low rather than high and tight. The layers of wrapping will each show some fringe, so it will look messy-ish and casual, which I think is the desired effect.

Is that it?

10. Tammy says:

Can’t express how much I love Chan Luu scarves. They’re the best I’ve purchased. Expensive? Oh, yes. But the quality is divine. I did buy one on super-duper clearance ($49) a couple years ago at Calypso St. Barth’s website.

I stink at looping, typing my scarves, though. So any help is appreciated.

11. Mae says:

Ya’ll: Go to YouTube and type in “scarf tying” — there’s one called 25 ways in 4.5 minutes that’s fun.

12. TamaraB. says:

PSA: The Chan Luu scarf is actually on sale right now at The Outnet. I just got the black for $62 including shipping… woohooooo

13. Carol White says:

I tried this immediately and it was perfect! Thank you. Never thought of doing it that way.

14. RJS says:

I just tried it with my two Chan Luu cashmere/silk scarves (bought for a fraction of their retail price on eBay). Oh là là! BTW: I never knew that French women had to practice looking chic. I thought that they were born that way!