Wednesday 18th October 2017

Home project alert

cornejo textiles

How excited am I that I’ve got an aging, faded Knoll Womb Chair in need of reupholstering and Maria Cornejo’s just launched a gorgeous textile collaboration  with that very brand? Now it’s just a question of which fabric to choose. Is it crazy that I’m considering the metallic?

Posted on November 20th, 2014 22 Comments

1. Meegan says:

Metallic would be super – totally change the look and feel of the Womb Chair. that black and white would be sharp too. Nice collaboration, that one.

2. Carrie says:

Love the metallic as long as it feels nice and not cold like they can. Those little white crosses are killing me.

3. Dana D says:

Yes, metallic if it is warm to sit on or the little white crosses..

Which I bet looks really cool from a distance.

4. margaret says:

great find, the metallic is amazing. but more importantly, can you recommend a great upholsterer in nyc?! if so, i might have some knoll metallic pieces in my future too.

5. Rebecca says:

Metallic!

6. y.k. says:

o you cannot go wrong w/ any ofthose fabrics on that chair- will you add a flokati pillow? did it come w/ ottoman? sadly we are in the stage of tuition for offspring so i cannot buy the furniture i was meant to live with.

7. mlinky says:

I also vote in favor of the metallic, but I am very drawn to the black with the little white crosses.

8. rita says:

i want a silver womb chair! do it so i can live vicariously, please!

9. Audrey says:

Yes, metallic! I’m having two Dux chairs redone in faux fur!

10. Sasha says:

It’s more of a west coast/summery question, but while I love the metallic, how will it feel on bare legs in the summer? That’s always the true test for me. The red and black would be super chic as well.

11. Ann says:

What a great collaboration. Go with the metallic!

12. Nickie says:

Metallic!! Love it, but the bottom black/white would be fabulous too. Hope we get to see before/after pics!!

13. Kristin says:

always choose the metallic when it is available.

Someone once told me, when I was thinking of reupholstering a chair, to put on a pair of shorts and sit on the fabric samples before I made a decision. While I think the metallic is awesome in theory I do wonder how it would feel on skin (not that you plan to sit on your Womb Chair in shorts or naked––or maybe you do!) and how or if the metallic would attract animal hair. Also, being the purist I can sometimes be, I like to think of Womb chairs upholstered in the classic boucle fabric (we have a black boucle fabric Womb Chair which, of course, DOES attract our blonde dog’s fur––argh). (I’ve been hankering to reupholster ours in Aegean after seeing one in a mostly white room––it was outstanding)

15. batampte says:

When I was rejuvinating/reupholstering my parents’ Jens Risom Knoll chairs a few years ago, I went to the NYC Knoll showroom and checked out all of their fabrics. Even tho I wasn’t “in the trade,” they were more than gracious, even supplying me w/swatches. Since Knoll doesn’t seem to do trade discounts (and their fabrics are anything but cheap!), I also checked out this site: http://www.modern-fabrics.com/store/store.php?pg1-cid38.html

Have fun and best of luck!

16. Caroline says:

If the metallic is feels soft enough the it will ge fantastic!
    For me a warm tone is the key to its fabulousness..!

17. elise says:

they are all amazing! whichever you choose, please post the finished product!

Metallic is never crazy. Well, maybe if it is a whole room.

But is this going to be in your living room (or is that too nosy a question?) What will it be near? I think how the fabric feels is most important, and then how it looks. Maybe you could find one of those nice boucles with a metallic thread in it somewhere, and have the best of all worlds at once. It kind of seems like the point of a Womb chair is the coziness factor.

19. Teresa says:

I would so be going for the metallic. It’s actually quite chic.

20. marjorie says:

I too am worried about comfort of metallic — particularly longterm, if the threads start to fray a bit and get poke-y. But I think it is GORGEOUS.

Omgosh! Where did you find it? Great deal or hand-me-down? Either way, a great find. Metallic, yes!

22. edie says:

It says that the metallic is coated with polyurethane–that would kind of raise a red flag for me. I love the “sit on it in shorts” tip–and I agree that a Womb chair feels like it should err on the side of cozy. My choice would be the black with white bits–it feels more enduring to me somehow. It’s quite beautiful.