Saturday 16th December 2017

Cheap and chic of the week

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 10.24.50 AM

I’ve been meaning to write about this J. Crew jacket for a while, because it is such a fantastic—but way better-priced—stand-in for this classic from Barbour. But I’m glad I waited, because right now, it’s one of many, many items the site is offering for 25% off. Just remember to enter the code STYLETREAT at checkout.

Posted on October 29th, 2014 12 Comments

1. Maria says:

I bought this jacket and it is EXCELLENT.

2. Daphne says:

I have lately become convinced that every woman in New York owns this jacket–including me, in two colors. I wear it all. the. time.

3. Shana says:

I have the previous ( belted ) version in gray. So good.

4. Emily says:

I bought mine in dark grey in 2008…still love it, still wear it, still feel great when I have it on, still get compliments! A classic.

5. Ellen says:

I also own this jacket and wear it all year round. I love it very, very much.

(It is all over Boston, too!)

6. Andy says:

I have a green olive version. It’s amazing!

7. Grenadine says:

I actually owned that barbour utility jacket for awhile and then sold it on ebay because I felt the brown color looked too “barny” on me. i should have gotten the black, but having just purchased a navy liberty-lined beadnell jacket from London, this j. crew version is now more in my budget. (Meaning: I can’t afford two barbour jackets in one year!) The utility jacket was nice, though, good cut and all, just wrong color. Sometimes these jackets in these olive/brown colors are just too much hunting/barn duty aesthetic for me.

This jacket is great! I just sent my 28-yr old daughter the link to it a few days ago because it comes in Talls and she is 6’1″!

9. LebowJ says:

I live in San Francisco and bought this jacket two years ago in the olive. I also wear it year round and love it, and am convinced that every girl here has it as well. I see it multiple times on a daily basis!

10. Heather says:

Don’t hate me, but I bought this at the J Crew Catalog Clearance Center (a sample store at the J Crew warehouse in Asheville, NC) for $34 with my teacher discount. It’s a little boxy for my usual look, but I agree that it’s a great all-around jacket.

I also got their famous wool coat in a one-and-only teal blue, which people walk up to me on the street and compliment. Thinsulate lined, think I paid about $80.

11. Junglesiren says:

Just going on the visual, I prefer the J Crew.