Sunday 20th August 2017

Business in the front, party in the back

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 12.20.52 PM

I could not be a bigger fan of the tucked-in-front, untucked-back look: button-down shirts look so chic with jeans or trousers, but I always feel like a guy when I’m wearing one, and this styling trick just seems to loosen things up and feminize them a bit. Plus, there’s the extra added bonus of comfort and butt coverage. Win-win all around.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 12.45.24 PM

No better place to get things started than with something super-crispy, extra-white and poplin.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 1.17.15 PM

As good a menswear blue as one could hope to find.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 1.45.45 PM

This super-loose, contrasty striped number is on crazy backorder, but I’m considering adding my name to the list anyway.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 12.27.28 PM

Not technically a button-down, but brilliantly drapey and camouflagey in all the right places (and I speak from experience here) when paired with skinny jeans.

Posted on September 29th, 2014 13 Comments

1. Jen says:

The J. Crew popover is genius. I have a difficult time finding button-front shirts that fit without gaping, but this one is great. And the fabric is the perfect combination of crisp and casual. Highly, highly recommend. I might buy another as a backup.

2. caroline says:

I love the tucked in front look for all of the reasons you stated!!!
    Most of my spring and summer has looked this way…
    Perhaps a bit to much. But I love it anyway.

3. y.k. says:

i’m very pleased to say i’ve done this for years.

4. Femme50 says:

Agreed. The half-tuck is brilliant for all the stated reasons and cannot believe I didn’t try it before this summer.

5. Dana says:

I can never get it right when I try it, is there a trick to this?

6. anna606 says:

Love thus, huge fan–helps to keep my tomboy uniform decidedly girly (well, that and a pair of vintage Ferragamo.)

7. Elisa says:

I love this look! I also like to knot my shirt tails at the front, loose and low, with a bit of the back tail exposed but pulled a little taut, if that makes sense, so I don’t totally obscure my shape. I have trouble sometimes wearing belts (they seem to bulge too much on me) and this trick makes a belt moot.

8. I love popovers just slightly tucked into my jeans. But I like to make it look like it was an accident.

I love this look, so, I’m willing to try. Just hope that my “pooch” cooperates!