Sunday 25th June 2017

Wednesday links

debbie chris stein

• Any excuse to run old pictures of Debbie Harry is all right by me. (Smithsonian)
  • Quiz time! On the occasion of its recent series finale, test your knowledge of 50 True Blood characters. (Vulture)
  • It’s your cute dog video of the day. (Laughing Squid)
  • A (deeply esoteric) state-by-state guide to the most frequently-purchased items on eBay. (Business Insider)
  • A poignant and wry goodbye-to-all-that to Manhattan’s Rizzoli Bookstore. (New Yorker)
Posted on August 27th, 2014 8 Comments

Of course I love the dog video. Who wouldn’t. My own Betty will NOT get in a pool (of any size), but will chase her ball into the ocean with abandon. Go figure.

An angel loses its wings every time a book store closes.

E-bay purchases by state––a dissertation waiting to be written.

2. Maria says:

As much as I love the ease and wonder of having everything at one’s fingertips via the internet, nothing will ever replace what bookstores (and libraries) signify to someone of my generation – a physical representation of the endless possibilities of the written word.

3. AmyM says:

The eBay breakdown is fun! I see what you’re doing there, Colorado.

4. marjorie says:

Debbie Harry shore has a purty mouth.

5. Tricia says:

A long time ago I worked in Henessey & Ingalls, a well known Santa Monica art and architecture bookstore. Celebrities would come in all the time. The manager rung up Michael Jackson once and had to tell him his credit card had been declined. Fortunately H & I are still around but so many great places are sadly gone. I miss the ability to browse.

6. Mae says:

Does it strike anyone else as odd that no two states have the same Ebay buying habits?

7. Jennifer says:

Farewell Rizzoli, hello more mega-expensive apartments for billionaires.