Monday 25th September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Cheap and chic of the week

massimo dutti2

I love that capes are a thing this season, but am not so much a fan of the fact that they’re mostly skewing on the pricey side. This appealingly Euro-preppy version from Massimo Dutti, however, is a perfectly lovely exception.

Posted on August 27th, 2014 9 Comments

1. amanda says:

In spite of the fake leather piping, I couldn’t resist this black and white striped cape from H&M http://www.hm.com/us/product/36798?article=36798-A

Cute and allows for mobility. However, it would pretty much have to be worn sans jacket in warmer Fall moments.

3. Tara says:

I’m not entirely on board with the cape trend. I’ve seen some beautiful versions, but I’m just not sure I have the flair to pull it off. This, however, has potential and I love the leather closures.

I loved this one so much I immediately logged on to order but, alas, they are out of my size. Oy and Egad. The Pollyanna in me is thinking I’m probably too short to wear a cape anyway.

• Liz says:

As a fellow short person, I think the H&M style Amanda linked to works better, because of the open front. You don’t look as trapezoidal.

• amanda says:

Definitely. I’m 5’2″ with a more top heavy build than the H&M model. The cape looks different on me than it does on that model, but I swear it works with simple clothes.

5. badash says:

Tell me the truth, can a short and curvy (not heavy, but definitely curvy) girl wear this without looking like a blob? This is perfection but I fear I lack the sophistication to pull it off!

6. I love the featured cape and the H&M striped cape too. I have a few of those blanket long cardigans that are similar in style and feel.

7. Yaya says:

You can make your own with an Ikea hack. Buy a throw for a few dollars, fold in half, cut out a hole for your head, and have a seamstress sew up the sides. You can get fancy by having a shoemaker create a couple of leather embellishments. Instead of leather I’m going to add a huge fake fur collar. Pricey but glorious.