Wednesday 20th September 2017

Her wardrobe, please

french01Behold one Capucine Safyurtlu*, my style obsession of the moment and a French fashion editor, because of course she is. Check out how she rotates the same cornerstone pieces into her outfits repeatedly:  the studded belt, the gray trousers, the black top. Google search her and you’ll see the black pumps get quite a workout too.  It can never be said enough: this kind of reliance on fewer, better pieces really is how you create a signature style.

french02-1

1. Organic by John Patrick 2. Nordstrom scarf 3. Nili Lotan tuxedo top 4. APC jeans 5. IRO belt 6. 3.1 Phillip Lim pencil pant 7. Etro crepe top 8. Helmut Lang pump 9. Clare V duffel 10. Loeffler Randall boots

*I know, the cigarette. Awful. Let’s  chalk it up to Frenchiness and hope she accessorizes with a nicotine patch some time soon.

Posted on August 15th, 2014 34 Comments

Love everything except the cig (which you already pointed out). My own wardrobe is very similar (minus the pumps), however I do not look at all French nor do I have that certain je ne sais quoi. (sigh) Must do more research!

2. dana says:

I wonder how this could be mixed up if my body isn’t exactly long and lean like hers? I love this look, but I will never be tall, lanky, or French.

• Lisette says:

Dana, I thought the same thing when I saw the individual pieces. I have all of those, except for the belt which I have no idea how I haven’t bought one like that yet. Needless to say, even wearing those pieces in those exact combinations, on my NOT whippet thin, all of 5’2″ frame does NOT yield the same French insouciance.

• Judy says:

Yeah, it’s all in the lankiness!

• KimFrance says:

I actually don’t think she’s all that tall—just wearing teetery heels always.

• joannawnyc says:

She’s not all that tall, but she’s pretty straight up and down. Gamine’s not a style that necessarily works well on the curvy, though there are things you can do to help with that. But not everyone has the hips for that belt!

• viajera says:

Just thinking out loud, but I think this kind of simplicity can work on all figures, but those of us not-thin can’t do the slouchiness loosefit look. We have to go fitted. To me that’s the biggest difference. I don’t care if someone is large, I would just prefer not to see a sack.

• viajera says:

Replying to myself (bad habit): on second thought, I guess the whole outfit needn’t be fitted. I do tend to agree with the top/bottom fit contrast theory. But somewhere on a person, you’ve got to be able to see that there’s a person in there. In some of these photos, her clothes are pretty loose all over, seems to me, even with the belt. That may be what most of us can’t/shouldn’t try.

• Suz says:

Same here. Busty, shortwaisted, hourglass will never do the lanky look properly.

3. lorimac says:

Sigh. If I were writing this piece, it would be titled, “Her figure, please.”

4. Ugh, I want her wardrobe as well. Plus, her figure.

5. Suzanne says:

Love this!! Now my inspiration except with pointed flats as heels aren’t practical for my everyday life! And I think anyone can pull this look off, simple & classic. Who cares what size you are! Go get ’em girls!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I agree, Suzanne. We can wear almost anything with the right attitude….and CONFIDENCE!

6. y.k. says:

yes, your style obsession is now mine,
    she looks like she’s not trying hard at all.
    which is what we’re after right? whatever the figure…

7. Maria says:

I’m going to agree that, while I LOVE this look, I don’t love it so much on me. I don’t look gamine in trousers and a loose top, I look like a chubby woman wearing trousers and a loose top.

But I think you can mix some of these pieces with other things that work better with your body type, and get a cool, somewhat monochromatic look that works for everyone.

8. Grenadine says:

Those sorts of cropped pants, depending on the cut, can look pretty awful on me – since I am a pear shape and rather petite, though I do have a few pairs that for some reason just seem to work. I tend to agree that the whole slouchy french thing just doesn’t work on everyone. I NEVER wear pointy heels like that, I find them horribly uncomfortable and feel ridiculous in them unless I have a specific occasion – which is rare…That said I like the color palette, how simple it is, and could see adapting that to cuts that suit my body better. And I love how uniform-ish the whole thing is, so easy to put things together and use a smaller number of pieces over and over – makes getting dressed a lot easier and looks cool to boot!

9. Jen says:

This look could be adapted for other body types, the key for anyone is that the fit needs to be PERFECT. Worth investing money in tailoring to get everything exactly right.

• Jen says:

i.e., that nonchalant slouchy sweater? It’s not really just any piece she threw on, you need to try on a lot of versions to get just the right fit (and probably alter it too).

• Suz says:

Not really. Picture Nigella Lawson in it or Sophia Loren. All that volume on a curvier figure translates to looking like a balloon. Never mind that crew necks would be a disaster on a busty person. Christina Hendricks looks huge in a crew neck drapey top as it really just acts like a tent – clinging to the highest point and then becoming shapeless. If you have a defined waist this look erases it.

The uniform simplicity – yes. But no this doesn’t work on other body types. Much like not everyone can wear pencil skirts.

• Suz says:

Didn’t mean to come across rude at all there

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Just passionate…not rude! I think the key to achieving the look is: Adapt the pieces so they work for you! i.e. A v-neck top or sweater would work quite well to lengthen the line, as well as a slightly higher rise in the pants. Make it YOURS!

10. Tanya says:

Loved the advice about investing in a few classic pieces to build a signature style! Her look is simple and modern.

11. Suz says:

I love her look 🙂 And now I need a studded belt.

12. Jen says:

Love this. Have many similar things and rock this look all the time. Wish I could afford that exact belt, bag, and boot. Yikes when you total it! Even if they are going to be your few purchases of the season. But then again I have 3 kids to dress too…so I know where my $ goes

13. Mae says:

I want to move to France and smoke cigarettes openly.

14. Cynthia says:

Also: her (Aurelie Bidermann) bracelets! I love the tiny bit of color they add to all the gray and black.

15. angie says:

being thin is not having style. she has steez, not because she is thin, and i would happily smoke a cigarette with her.

i weigh 350 and am NOT five foot two and i rock pants and a t shirt because i have style. if you look like a fat woman in pants maybe it is because you don’t. but you are in the right place!

16. Heather says:

So agree about the ‘fewer, better’ (a very European) sentiment. I track my expenses in Quicken, and over the last few years I’ve transitioned from ‘buy stuff that’s on sale, only because it’s on sale’ to ‘buying what I want, within reason.’ I’m actually spending the same or less on clothes per year, and while I own fewer items overall, there’s nothing in my closet that doesn’t fit, that I never wear, or that isn’t flattering.

One of my favorite quotes about style has stuck with me a long, long time. It’s from the noted French interior designer, Andree Putman:
    “I love America, and I love American women. But there is one thing that deeply shocks me – American closets. I cannot believe one can dress well when you have so much.” Brilliant.

18. Mary Alice says:

I’ve seen that quote before, attributed to various Frenchmen (and women). Doesn’t matter who says it, the sentiment is spot on – we need to buy fewer pieces and make them things we love. I was recently in Paris for the first time and spent a lot of time riding the Metro and studying French women – why are they so fabulous? They dress very simply, not much makeup and their hair never looks ‘done” – and they’re almost without exception quite lean, partially because Europeans as a rule tend to be of smaller build than Americans.
    How about this – we borrow the philosophy of ‘less is more’ (better for our bank accounts, as well!) and don’t worry too much about lack of lankiness!

19. srf says:

I love her style. LOVE.

20. Jozelle says:

I am style obsessed with her.