Saturday 20th January 2018

Made in America: The Girls of a Certain Age List Part II

This time around, I’ve added a few brands suggested by readers, and consulted two excellent sites, The American Edit, and The American-Made Guide to Life for backup. As usual, chime in with any favorites you think I’d like in the comments, as there shall be a Part III.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 8.52.50 PM

CapitalEyewear Glasses The eyewear business, as many of you know, is big old racket controlled almost entirely by a single huge conglomerate called Luxxotica: it is because of them that frames, which really don’t need to cost so much, do. Capital Eyewear is an indie straight out of California happily defying Luxxotica’s iron grasp, and producing a small-but-compelling range of  glasses for under $150. The wooden frames are something to behold, if not actually wear.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 8.57.29 PM

Catbird Jewelry The folks over at Catbird totally get the whole little-bit-of-accessible-luxury thing: I can always find something to desire while browsing their site, or on visits to their tiny-and-always-jam-packed Williamsburg store.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 10.27.03 PM

Clare Vivier  Bags Turns out everybody’s favorite anti-status handbag is made right in LA. I’ve currently got their Sac Bretelle in heavy rotation: it fits all the necessities while remaining supremely lightweight.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 10.31.26 PM

CP Shades Apparel Oversized and flowy clothes with a Northern California-style comfort-first appeal. I love this beach cover-up with the excellent pockets.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 9.11.58 PM

Faribault Woolen Mill Co. Blankets, Throws, Scarves This Minnesota-based mill—going strong for well over a century—churns out some absolute classics. A throw like this could be at home in your home whether your aesthetic is midcentury, bohemian, or antiquey-American.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 8.33.02 PM

Found My Animal Dog Gear Their degrade leash is rather smashing, but I’m also a big fan of this company’s decidedly un-prissy dog carriers.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 10.17.38 PM

Heath Ceramics Tableware If an earthquake hit New York and all my dishes were destroyed, this is precisely where I’d go to start all over.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 10.38.29 PM

Organic by John Patrick Apparel, lingerie. A small but lovely line composed of classics made modern—the perfect cardigan, a live-in-it crewneck—and the most splurge-worthy camis and bias-cut slips I’ve yet to come across.

podolls

The Podolls Apparel This San Francisco-based line is notable mostly for the pieces they execute in handwoven fabrics from India and Japan: the prints are so good that they know to keep the silhouettes simple—just how I like them.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 10.49.47 PM

Splendid Apparel Just some of the most flattering, reliable, well-wearing tees around.

berernice

20X200  This brilliant online venture brings gallery-quality work by contemporary artists to the people.  There’s also a pretty nifty vintage section, with work by such masters as New York street photographer Berenice Abbott.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted on July 21st, 2014 25 Comments

1. Meegan says:

I’ll add Alabama Chanin, based in Florence, Alabama.

2. Well done, well done. ::airkiss::

3. Cara says:

Lotuff Leather ( Providence RI)

4. Caroline says:

Capital eyewear..
    Be still my heart..

5. Megan says:

Love this! I’d only add Further Products – soap, lotion and candles made by a husband and wife (ok fine, my husband and I) in and around Los Angeles, CA. (There is a whole eco-element to the production process but for purposes of this site and list – everything smells and looks amazing.)

6. AmyM says:

Am I the only one who was hoping the leash was a bracelet?

Excellent list!

C.P.Shades runs LARGE and they last forever so buy wisely.

I also thought the dog leash was a bracelet and was a skoosh disappointed when it wasn’t.

8. Lena says:

That Amy at The American-Made Guide to Life sure does know her stuff. Love her blog and love HER! I want just about everything on this list. Brava!

9. kerry says:

I am beginning to think that I shall never be able to get anything you spotlight on this site. Wahhhhhhhh…I wanted an Organic slip and they are sold out in my size. Why do all the L and XL girls get there first? 😉

10. kerry says:

what I meant to say was “all the OTHER L and XL girls…”

• Suz says:

I think clothing companies are some of the biggest dopes going (not this one in particular, just in general) When you are an L or XL – you tend to pay full retail most of the time. ‘Cause the large sizes go quick.

You would think they (the general they) would catch on or make more of the sizes that sell.

11. Suz says:

Love CP shades though you do have to be careful as the sizing is nuts. But you can get some very solid basics that will last forever. Their jackets can be particularly useful. Their fabrics are US made too – and washable.

A HUGE thank you for the Capitol Eyewear!

And for dishes – multi-color, deco style Fiestaware is US made (since 1936) and I can attest – pretty earthquake proof.

12. Suz says:

Oh, and Anna Sui – always has been made in the US. Not everyones cup of tea, granted.

13. Xochil says:

Great post, and you’ve got great resources! Love Amy @ American Made Guide to Life!

Loving the collection from the Podolls. Beautiful but easy to wear looks, fantastic.

14. rita says:

Thank you thank you for including TAE! so happy to see your favorite American made brands… and that everyone loves Capital Eyewear – steven is the best!

15. elizabeth says:

wonderful list and a timely reminder. me too on the dog leash/bracelet. i always love archerie nyc — dresses, tops, skirts.

16. Heidi says:

I want everything on this list. I need to find Amy on Pinterest!

17. Eve says:

Lové clare vivier’s shop and smart looking and light Weight bags she carries
    20×200 site for photographes gréât to know about