Archive for June, 2014
I have determined that it might be nice to enter the world of grown-ups by discontinuing my habit of employing magazines as coasters and stepping it up a notch. No longer will my guests have to make do with placing their drinks on water-logged copies of British Vogue: I’m taking it to the next level, and doing it with these clever embroidered cocktail napkins from Coral & Tusk. They’re not especially cheap, but since my hunch is they’re likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, I’m willing to shell out. My new coffee table is watermelon pink* and I feel these wee bugs will pop nicely against it.
But then again this camel also has its charms.
And this kind of preppy nautical-themed quartet is perfect for summertime. And yes, I am well aware that all of these are really super-twee, but I find myself caring not.
*Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.
A cover up with real coverage.
The kind of towel that makes it very nearly impossible to lose sight of one’s spot on the beach after a walk.
Sandals that hold up better than flip flops when making one’s way across the deathly hot sand.
A go-bold-or-go-home tote.
A lightweight linen cloche: full-on facial coverage for those who aren’t nuts about a crazy-wide brim.
It’s swimsuits, popover tops, and breezy dresses until the cows come home at J. Crew’s sale, where everything is currently (and fabulously) an additional 30% off (50% for final sale items). My pick: this this neon-trim tunic from their Collection line, which I’ve been making puppy dog eyes at all season. Just type in the code HISUMMER at checkout.
- I love these pictures of small town French discos.
- This footage of Donnie and Marie covering Steely Dan’s Reelin in the Years on their 70s variety show is my everything. (Laughing Squid)
- The headline says it all: World Leaders Interacting Awkwardly With Soccer Balls. (New Republic)
- You know I love any roundup of weird museums. (Mental Floss)
- And of course I wouldn’t not bring you pictures from this year’s Coney Island Mermaid Parade. (New York)
They’re the perfect blend of Euro and preppy, bold without being overwhelming, and probably the easiest-to-wear print there is. And while they do count in my book as year-round wearable, exactly right now is when I like them best.
- People and their crazy record collections. (Slate)
- A kind of sad but pretty interesting story about woman writers who were alcoholics. (The Guardian)
- There may be a True Blood musical. Which I actually think could totally work. (A.V. Club)
- 25 quite out-of-the-box phobias. (Mental Floss)
- It’s Entrepreneur Barbie, y’all. (Atlantic Wire)