Friday 20th October 2017

Inspiration of the day

Jane Birkin could deploy the simplest of pieces for the deathliest of chic like nobody’s business.

jane birkin3

inspiration

1. Boy’s tee; 2.Delicate necklace; 3. Bootcut jeans for a somewhat more modest flare; 4. A straw bag like the one Ms. Birkin was rarely without; 5.Ballet flats

`

Posted on June 26th, 2014 24 Comments

1. Mae says:

You meant “deadliest”, right?

2. Beth Ellen says:

Seriously? How can those jeans only go up to size 10? Zara needs to get real.

3. Grenadine says:

Love the simplicity here — except I can’t wear ballet flats, so have to envision some other type of shoe! Speaking of shoes, had a question about a previous post: in this post you have a pic of some Sven clogs that look quite nice. But are those silver or black? I can’t tell — the page they link to has both colors. A little scared of silver clogs but if you endorse I will go for it! Can you clarify which color these are? Thanks!

4. Grenadine says:

Oops forgot, here is the link to the post in question (clogs): http://www.girlofacertainage.com/2014/04/25/taking-requests-5/

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

IMO, those are more of a “pewter,” which would make them the metallic option for the clogs. I have the same Sven clogs in gold and I love them! Good shopping, Grenadine 😉

5. tamara says:

it’s the hair. the perfect hair. because i wear all of those pieces, just like she is pictured. and my insane hair defies chic.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Tamara, it’s also the skinny. She has the “coat hanger body” that designers use all the time.

6. Suz says:

Death indeed.

This however requires a non-see-thru white t shirt. Which doesn’t seem to exist anymore. As a busty gal, the sheer thin ones get a bit clingy/obscene at non-boyish size. If you are taking requests, that would be mine.

• Jessica says:

Everything is see-through–it’s so *cheap* (though not when you go to pay for it). I don’t want to wear a camisole under a little t-shirt ever, and certainly not in July or August. Glad I’m not the only disgruntled one.

• Linden says:

Yes, that would be great. I know better than to ever try on anything described as “boy cut.” Because I myself am not cut like a boy.

7. Suz says:

v neck preferred (as well…busty)

I agree, it’s the simplicity. More and more I think it is what flatters most people. Not sure when I finally figured that out. I know it was some time after the 80s though. (Wah wah wah)

9. Liz says:

I totally agree that it’s the simplicity. I see 20-something girls walking around looking like Forever 21 threw up all over them, and I see old ridiculous photos of myself at that age, and it reminds me of how much better simple looks most of the time unless you are an amazing eccentric who can actually style themselves.

• Viajera says:

Well, I am a bit behind on my peoplewatching lately, so I haven’t observed that yet.

What bothers me a bit is, when I look in the windows of the local surf/swim shop, the colors are rather subdued. This makes no sense to me. How can clothing in a beach shop be subdued? And why would youngsters want to go around in grey and brown in the middle of the summer? And a lot of it is androgynous too. I blame too much plastic in the food supply.

I think it may just be that I have bad taste, but, I hate to see young people wearing boring colors. Why???? Simplicity is one thing, but cheese and crackers, enough with the blahdom.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I think I just laughed so hard, I peed! (You know us “Girls of a Certain Age”!

10. Kat says:

I love and admire simplicity — more so the older I get — but that picture strikes me as sloppy to the point of frumpy. I get that One Is Not Supposed to Think Such Things of Icons, but yeah. Not chic at all. No thanks.

• edie says:

Agree. I am tired of hearing about Jane Birkin. She gets hauled out periodically as the epitome of some sort of French je ne sais quoi, but I’ve never quite understood why. And she has a handbag named for her. Is she really THAT cool or THAT much of a style icon?

11. KimFrance says:

You know, I can just about never predict what will get you guys going.