Archive for May, 2014
The markdowns are site-wide over at Shopbop, but I didn’t get too far past the bag department. This woven hobo has just about everything in common with the classic Bottega Veneta version but the price.
A snakesskin tote is always endlessly luxe, and works unexpectedly well as a neutral.
If I still went to an office every day, I’d totally carry a snappy/professional bag like this one whenever I had important lunches and meetings I needed to look all put-together for.
The crinkled-up leather on this Nina Ricci tote slays me.
It’s all about that excellent blue on this one.
I’ve always been of the wear-white-whenever-you-please school of thought, but one can’t argue with the notion that it works best in summer, and that is most definitely when I am most likely to break it out. And while I love a well-executed had-to-toe white-on-white look, I don’t particularly think that’s the chicest (or easiest) way to wear it. One or two well-chosen white pieces just pop more when mixed with black, as Emmanuelle Alt so expertly demonstrates here.
And on the flip side:
- RIP to pioneering cheesecake photographer and model Bunny Yeager.
- If you think online dating is a flawed concept, check out some of its predecessors. (Flavorwire)
- This 20/20 segment from 1980 on punk rock makes me feel all huggy inside. (Please Kill Me)
- A 13 year-old just became the youngest girl ever to climb Mount Everest. (Jezebel)
- Finally: Here is why I will be buying my books anywhere but Amazon from now on. (Atlantic Wire)
Much like clogs, big old cork wedges are both permanently of the 70s and also, at this point, pretty timeless. I like the nice little touch of funk they add to an outfit, and you can’t beat them for lightness and walkability. Let’s start things off with that classic of the genre, Kork Ease.
Dying for this elegant snakeskin version.
Likewise, these are polished enough to be evening-worthy, and in a shade that will go with absolutely everything in your closet.
This dress is so out of my summer playbook that if it didn’t exist it might have come to me in a dream: it’s got a nice, oversized cut like you want for the hottest days, enough sleeve action to cover the part of my upper arms I most loathe, and a cool bit of Mexican embroidery. It sold out on Net a Porter, but when they reordered I snapped it up. Now it’s selling out fast again, and I am surprised not at all.
- Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone, and how insane is that? Winter was like 20 minutes ago, no? Do enjoy yourself, and let’s meet back here Tuesday. Meanwhile, check out these aerial views of American-style playgrounds. (Visual News)
- You have just met your morning time-waste: a booking agency’s leaked memo detailing exactly how much every single musical act out there commands for a live performance.Only about five get over $1 million, and one of them is, James Taylor, which I love. (Pricenomics via Slate)
- There will be an Orange is the New Black cookbook. (A.V. Club)
- I would say that this device—which allows to interact with your kitty via an app when you’re not home—was absolutely crazytown, except for that if they had one for dogs, I’d be all over it.
- Self-driving cars are a real thing and they are hitting the road in California. (Atlantic Wire)