Tuesday 21st November 2017

The leggings of the skirt world

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 6.14.39 PM

Tube skirts are as comfortable as the day is long, unrestrictive, and—if you take care to find a good one, and pair it with the right top—not quite so tricky as they seem. I bought this one from Maria Cornejo not long ago. It wasn’t cheap,  but sucks you in like you’re wearing Spanx from hip to knee.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 3.39.18 PM

A little bit of strategic ruching works wonders for those of us with less than diminutive hips.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 9.29.37 PM

The peaked hem on this (quite reasonably priced) option is a nice little touch.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 7.12.46 PM

For me, some degree of hip and butt coverage is essential here—but I don’t go too big, as the silhouette starts to get weird. This draped front top dips satisfyingly low in back and has a nice amount of interest up front.

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 10.29.55 AM

I like a tee that has enough volume to provide coverage, but not so much that it will add unnecessary bulk. (I also like that this one also comes in a decent assortment of shades.)

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 10.49.40 AM

A crisp oversize cotton button-down  is exactly what I’ll want to be pairing it with come summertime.

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 10.54.10 AM

As will a big old blousy tunic.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted on April 29th, 2014 19 Comments

1. Mae says:

I love Nordstrom’s Trouve brand (the third pencil skirt above). Current styles, subtle colors, good quality and prices that are always reasonable (and get marked WAY down during sales).

2. RebeccaNYC says:

Love my tube skirt from (gasp) Old Navy. And I would totally wear it with any of these options. Loved this: “I also like that this one also comes in a decent assortment of shades.” when I clicked on the link, I found that it came in black gray and beige. Now THAT’s my idea of a decent assortment of shades!

3. claite says:

these are all cute choices – except for that ruched one. perhaps I am not the sophisticate I fancy myself to be as that one looks like when you wear a skirt on the plane and when you stand its all twisted up and strangling your butt.

4. Jen says:

James Perse made a great ruched pencil skirt that is easy to wear and the ruching at the hips camouflages stomach junk nicely. They don’t make it anymore, but you can often find them on eBay. Mine was a godsend last summer–perfect thing to throw on with a top and sandals for work.

• Jen says:

But avoid the JP short ruched pencil skirts, of which there are a ton floating around–I definitely recommend the below-the-knee length one.

5. gg says:

Excellent posting — well-balanced set of ideas. thanks.

6. Samantha says:

Funnily enough I was JUST contemplating tube skirts and whether I should have one.
    Done deal!

7. Gilli says:

How does the sizing run in the Maria Cornejo skirt? Small or true to size? Great looking skirt! Thanks!

Bought a super flattering black stretchy pencil skirt at Target recently for $20. Looks EXACTLY like the Maria Cornejo. Just sayin…..

9. Tracey says:

Thank you for posting. I have a skirt like this I love; however, I’m a bit perplexed about shirt styles and shoe height to wear with it. A drapey T and wedge summer sandals? A shirt that has a defined waist to balance it out?

10. Cara says:

Just bought one, too. As it is still cold where I live, I found the greatest thing known to skirt wearing women – Commando (name of company) dig-free tights. NO waistband.

11. Hannah says:

I have one of these that I can never seem to find a top to match. Definitely going to try the last two top ideas and see if that works.

12. fashmr paul says:

What a super post ! love it
    :0)
    Paul

13. PD says:

Let the hot, sweaty rubbing of the thighs commence! Swamp groin, to the fore! Position all fans & aim just short of the hips!

Ai,yai, yai. I love the look of a pencil skirt, but disagree with you regarding its comfort. And you can’t ride a bike in one.

14. ag says:

I think I need one of these skirts!

15. Kimberly says:

Alexander Wang has a few as part of his T line. I have one and I have to hold myself back from wearing it every day.

16. Jean says:

Maria Cornejo is amazing! You are always introducing me to great brands I can’t afford! Time to save up.

I think I’d wear it with my Birkies. Yes or no?!?