Sunday 17th December 2017

Taking requests

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 3.32.25 PM

My sister in law Shanna needs an attractive, professionally-appropriate-but-not-boring black handbag that is big enough to accommodate her Macbook Air. This was a fun one. I am kind of in love with this endlessly chic and truly goes-with-everything number from Coach.

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 3.04.15 PM

For the person whose bag is never big enough: this up-for-everything messenger style.

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 7.05.40 PM

Probably my favorite: the vertical shape just feels so modern and chick-on-the-go.

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 7.17.05 PM

A lot of elegance for something that rings in under $25.

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 3.36.10 PM

Another, more refined take on the messenger bag, with a strong graphic zipper.

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 3.37.04 PM

An absolutely perfect saddle bag, for the more laid-back professional.

Posted on March 24th, 2014 22 Comments

1. Rachel says:

My wife has two of Hester Van Eeghan bags including the Woody in the classic black/cognac/cream color. It definitely is a different take on the briefcase/bag.

2. haapi says:

Definitely #1 or 2, with a preference for #2.

3. AmyM says:

I really like the Coach. It seems like it would have chameleon-like qualities to skew edgy or classic depending on what it was paired with. They’re all very nice though — love the wide range of price points.

4. Sharli says:

These are all great, but I’d love to see some other choices in color rather than black.

5. Jennifer says:

I just got the Borough Bag from Coach last week (very similar to the one shown, but with handles and more compartments), and I love it. It’s a beautiful color, looks really elegant and fits my 13 inch laptop perfectly.

6. I’m really drawn to the first Coach bag. I love the nude sparse strap paired with the black leather. I kinda like #3, but the PU won’t last a year of daily use. Coach FTW.

7. PD says:

The Zara bag isn’t a messenger. I believe the website says it’s a hobo, and if you scroll through the photos, you see that the strap doesn’t look long enough to sling across one’s chest, from shoulder to hipbone. Loathe I am to admit it, as the brand has been cheapened so much of late, but I do like the Coach bag. However, the width of the strap doesn’t look as though it’s made to handle the weight of the contents of the bag. Big bags & long, skinny straps make me nervous….

Coach is my favorite––except for the already mentioned too thin straps which would mean painful digs into the shoulder. Hard to tell from these photos what the bags look like on a person. So much depends on your sister-in-law’s height and how large these bags really are…I’m 5’2″ and if a bag is too large my proportions get wonky, I look weird, and my back aches.

9. Jenny says:

NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS for the little Rag and Bone one?
    Really Kim? You lost me on this one! R&B are really out to lunch lately

10. Maria says:

That Coach bag is lovely – I’m not sure about carrying a laptop in it (although a Macbook Air is pretty darn light), but it just has such a great look.

I’m not such a sleek person, but if I was . . .

11. M van says:

Kim et al,
    Please have a look at the Roots website for gorgeous leather bags that are roomy enough to accommodate your entire life. Virtually indestructible and they’ll fix them if you do break them. Last forever, lots of colours and textures beyond basic black. You won’t be sorry.
    The Londoner is my favourite, but also French tote in Tribe and the Go To bag. Have a look at their leather backpacks as well. They ship in Canada and the USA. http://www.roots.com.

• Jennifer says:

Seconding the love for Roots! I have the Londoner in butterscotch and the Grace in black. I have a couple of Coach bags and a nice one from Frye, but Roots is my favorite.

12. Amy in StL says:

The great thing about Coach is their leather bags are such great quality. I’m not a fabric/logo person; but my leather Coach bags have held up to a lot of abuse. Carrying heavy things, weird things, sitting on the ground at the stadium…. they’re durable and nary a rip in the lining.

• Diane says:

Yes, the quality of Coach bags is remarkable. My daughter (age 23) discovered my old Coach bags from the 1980s (back when they were manufactured in New York, right?), in the back of my closet and claimed them for herself and they look terrific. A lot of her girlfriends have done the exact same thing. Seems like old school Coach has had a revival of sorts among 20-somethings, which I love.

13. Not sure about the budget, but the Alexander Wang Emile large tote ($995 at Saks), Tom Ford Jennifer large shoulder bag ($2,990 at Neimans), Chloe Marcie large shoulder bag ($1,630 on bluefly today, $2,050 elsewhere) and the Calvin Klein Collection shoulder bag ($570 on Yoox) would fit a 13 inch MacBook Air and have more practical shoulder straps than the Coach (I still love that bag but agree with the impracticality of thinner straps for a work bag).

Here’s the link for the CKC bag, since yoox has a few bags on its site:

14. joannawnyc says:

I want the Botkier in white!

15. Mae says:

I just cruised the handbag department of Bloomingdale’s in Orlando, Florida (shhhhhhh, this is a business trip)and the Coach bags were so much more tasteful than ALL the others, it was rather remarkable. Elegant lines, very little hardware (why is that so hard find?) and beautiful colors. A periwinkle blue one that’s got me thinking I might go back there tomorrow before my flight home…

• Kimberly says:

I hate logos! I wish that Coach’s were more subtle. I DO realize they are more subtle than some (I am stink-eyeing you Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors and Louis Vuitton).

16. EVE says:

I like the one from Coach

17. SRF says:

I like the Coach one too… thank you.xoxoox

18. ame says:

I am a huge fan of Linea Pelle’s Dylan Medium Tote. It SHOULD fit a laptop well. If not, the Zip Tote absolutely will.