Sunday 17th December 2017

Welcome to my annual attempt to find reasonably attractive parkas

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 1.08.39 PM

No season is a more swift and efficient style killer than winter, and no one article of clothing is more responsible for that annual death of chic than the down jacket. They are as inherently unattractive as they are unilaterally necessary, and they make us all look a little bit like each other as we lumber down the sidewalk, all puffy and bundled. I have managed to dig a few up that I think are on the cuter side of things, though. They’e all thigh-length, because a girl’s got to stay warm. First up: this wooly on the outside, downy on the inside number with a hood and always- cute toggles.

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 1.38.27 PM

I like the cocoon shape here, and the funnel neck looks like it’d be crazy cozy.

zara puffer

So very sportif in the navy, and nice and slim in proportion, with a black faux fur collar. I am forever a sucker for the blue and the black.

zara quilted

This one’s just like a really smart, big, well-proportioned hug.

leather sleeves

A little bit on the shorter side, but I’m allowing it because it’s got leather sleeves, which is kind of to die.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on November 26th, 2013 7 Comments

1. y.k. says:

You are so right on all of these especially that last one w/ leathersleeves.

2. CC says:

I know it’s too expected but I was thinking of trying to get one of the Canada Goose parkas – I’m always cold, and have to spend time outside walking my dog regardless of bad weather. What do you think of those?

Excellent selection. On the puffer Zara one (without the faux collar) if you look at it on the web site in white (rather than the black) you can see the details more easily.

4. AmyM says:

If I lived in a climate that required it, I would choose the navy w/the faux fur collar. Love.

5. blerta says:

I like the Zara one.

Years ago, when I moved from a very warm place to a very cold one, I got a full length sleeping bag parka. It was Michael Kors, less than $200 from Burlington Coat Factory, and pretty fug. Nevertheless, it helped me have an endlessly more fashionable winter because all I had to do was throw it on over whatever I wanted to wear. No layers, no suffering, no worries.

6. EVE says: