Sunday 17th December 2017

Wednesday links

playboy bunny bar

• Just in time for Halloween: excellent old-school candy wrappers. (Collector’s Weekly)
  • A French organization that advocates on behalf of plus-sized women has lodged a formal complaint against designer Karl Lagerfeld for his “defamatory and discriminatory” comments regarding fat people, who he recently proclaimed on French television were the reason for France’s economic troubles. I love that, at the very least, this will be kind of a pain in the ass for him. (Jezebel)
  • There’s big drama brewing in Portland because restaurants are sending employees out to raid backyard herb gardens. I really do need to experience Portland for myself one of these days. (Time)
  • You might enjoy this rundown of left-of-center pageant queens through American history, from International Posture Queen to Miss American Vampire.  (Mental Floss)
  • The 50 greatest inventions since the wheel, according to a bunch of smartypants types. (Atlantic via Kottke)
Posted on October 30th, 2013 6 Comments

1. HT says:

You SHOULD come to Portland! Lots of fun shops and pretty places and no sales tax!!!

Re Lagerfeld. One of my occasional daydreams is to start a yearly event called the Flab-In, in which chunky people gather in a park or something, wearing not much, just covering the bits, just so that people could get over their fears of largeness. (Of course, everyone would be asked to shower and shave beforehand — one taboo at a time, right?) Skinny people could come too, of course. And yes, I know it *can* be unhealthy to be overweight — but true fear of health issues is about 5% of the fear of flab, imo.

Sounds like a certain designer could use a little visit. He needs to get over himself. Besides, I thought there weren’t any fat French people.

3. Kate says:

You’re always welcome out here in PDX! I’m sure I and many other readers would love to provide some recommendations…

4. Elizabeth says:

And PDX has tons of great restaurants!

Lagerfeld is in the “meh” column.

6. Maria says:

I have some compassion for Lagerfield – he was heavy himself for a while, apparently lost a ton of weight on some insane diet (and now lives on Diet Coke) and obviously has some painful issues about weight he has never dealt with. It all smacks of some self-loathing that I both understand and pity.

Having said that – dude, please.