Sunday 17th December 2017

Nice design moments make everything better

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 12.06.21 PM I loathe the observance of Halloween by adults—except those adults accompanied by children*—and you might too if you lived in downtown New York. For it is here that the annual opening of the Hellmouth that is the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade happens, and its aftermath is the kind of a glittery, boozy, loud-ass touristy rout that could drive a girl straight uptown to spend the night with her parents—and frequently does. But this year I’m sticking around: I do like seeing the kiddies in their costumes, and any excuse to purchase a large bag of mini-Butterfingers is a good one. I’ll be serving them on this spidery-fun plate (melamine, and amazingly solid) from John Derian, which has been lying in wait for just such an  occasion as this.

*Or dogs (see above).

Tags: , ,
Posted on October 30th, 2013 7 Comments

I’m glad to see you getting into the spirit of it! It’s harmless fun with a side of (fully ignorable) profundity. And yes, choco. Also it’s good for the economy. This is the first time in years I dressed up (for a theme party — cue the eyes rolling!)

2. I have the major WANTS for that plate, actually two dozen will do. We do the ‘Ween in a big way at Casa de Cox.

3. yunah says:

i lived on christopher & 7th, across from the church that hosted tina & tony’s for over 10 yrs – yes, hellmouth is exactly the word.

4. Maria says:

My smallish college town has a downtown trick-or-treat for the kiddies and the whole town pretty much shows up – its is a bit ridiculous and fun and I enjoy it. I don’t always dress up, but my kids have so much fun.

Also – leftover Halloween candy? Yeah, bring on the fun sized chocolates!

5. joannawnyc says:

I hated Halloween till I had a kid. Now the kid’s a teen and Halloween is once again going down in my estimation.

I have the glass version of that plate. I should have waited!

6. Liz says:

I’m such a judgmental jerk on Halloween. I actually told my husband I wanted to have a party where I am the doorman who doesn’t let anyone with a lame costume in. Fun party, right?!! But Halloween to me is like a stand up comedy night where you realize how unfunny most people are.

7. Angela says:

I was in NYC for Halloween and now back in the UK. I must say it does seem to be for adults In NY. In England the kid’s costumes are amazing and adults rarely dress up. I think it was Snoopy that brought ‘Trick or Treat’ to the UK. Now it’s becoming more popular than Christmas with both adults and children. I was downtown during the day and saw all the police and prep going on but was glad to return uptown before the crowds arrived.