Friday 18th August 2017

Ladies day out

selima soho

Tribeca Mom and I had a date on Saturday—she was family-free for the weekend and itching for a walkabout, and I was happy to oblige. We enjoyed  a little Mexican-Peruvian Brunch, and then it was off to Selima Optique on Broome Street. In a city full of chic alternatives to your usual mall brand opticians, Selima may be the chicest choice of all. They’ve got a surpassingly cool in-house line, a nice selection from other designers, and the kind of efficient and straight-up friendly service that keeps a person coming back. Which, as somebody with light sensitivity issues and a more-is-by-all-means-more outlook regarding the acquisition of new sunglasses, I do. Frequently.

clubmaster1

To that point: what do you think of my new Ray Ban Clubmasters? I’ve wanted some forever, but the classic Clubmaster shape looks crazy on me. These are squarer, which somehow renders them softer and more flattering. Definitely less hipster than the original, but then again, so am I.

squared clubmaster

Here they are close up. Cuteness, no?

jerome dreyfussbag

Tribeca Mom had a substantial American Express gift card burning a hole in her pocket, so we hit the Jerome Dreyfuss store on Broome Street—as excellent a spot as any for a splurge that’ll cost you nothing. Dreyfuss is Isabel Marant’s husband, and his bags work a similarly Frenchy-understated fashion insidery angle. I own one, a small grey leather number that makes any outfit I pair it with just a tiny bit cooler, and would die for another. But today was not about me. Tribeca Mom got this, and it is perfection: big enough to carry papers, but chic enough to bring along to dinner or a nice lunch, and made of the lightest leather. I can’t stop thinking about it.

Tags: , ,
Posted on July 28th, 2013 8 Comments

1. Claudia says:

So what did you have at this Mexican-Peruvian brunch? As a born-and-raised Peruvian now living in SiliValley, I’d love to know 😀

• TribecaMom says:

Hey! We had lots of great pastries (churros, pandebono) and huevos rancheros. And I had an almost undrinkably spicy, tequila-based bloody mary. Liquor + shopping = nice new bag.

2. Selina says:

You canNOT post that pic without telling us where you got that top/dress/whatever it is. The pattern! The sleeves! I die!

• KimFrance says:

Thanks, doll. It’s a dress & one of my all-time favorite magic ones. Matthew Williamson from about 2007. Makes me happy every time I wear it.

3. Carla says:

And is your happy dress Embroidered!?!? My needle is itching for the answer.

• KimFrance says:

Indeedy, Needle Habit. And studded with those strategically-placed silver thingies. They’re the touch that takes the dress over the edge into all-out fantabulosity.

4. Joanna aka Alexa (@alexa11221) says:

I SO want a Jerome Dreyfus crossbody bag! But I really need to get to the shop to pick one out. I can’t buy a bag online, I need to feel it on to know if it will work for me.

My eyes are overly light sensitive as well.

This is probably obvious, but I find that glasses with a thicker side thingy (what are those called?) are much more comfortable. But they are hard to find, even in sunglasses, which makes absolutely no sense at all. Anyway, those look cute.