Tuesday 21st November 2017

Stride right

Screen shot 2013-03-31 at 5.50.58 PM

If you live in a large urban area where your feet are your primary means of transportation, it’s important to own at least one pair of sandals that is both walkable and un-shleppy—not the easiest combination to swing. But not impossible: this handmade pair from Japanese brand Nom & Ada is like a cleaned-up, slightly French-ified version of a huarache. And the rubber sole adds just a touch of height without any incline at all, which is never bad.

worishofers

And also:  Worishofers, which hit it big around 2005 or so—although I have strong recollections of  uber-indie rock types like Kim Gordon wearing them all the way back in the the mid-90s, and wanting desperately to know what they were. Designed by a German podiatrist for old ladies with bunions, they happen to look genius on hipsters—just check out how cute the mule version is on Michelle Williams.

Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 1.32.20 AM

I’m partial to these myself.  All Worishofers are under $100, and they’re all deathly comfortable too. Not so much on the sexy side, but that’s not the point of this exercise.

Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 1.56.02 AM

And for something a little more your-first-Kiss-concert: Kork-Ease! Just exactly the same as they ever were. The heel on these only appears to be high—look a little closer, and you’ll see the platform is so hulking that the incline is negligible. If you’re really not the platform type, they make the exact same sandal in a much lower version too.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted on March 31st, 2013 21 Comments

1. rebecca says:

Oh, I love you so much……but please NO!

2. Maggie says:

I’m too late for Famolares, too old for Frye boots, too uncoordinated Kork-Ease. All these unrequited shoe-loves of my youth!

3. Nancy says:

I SERIOUSLY need help with shoes I can walk 6-8 hours in. So far my only option is tennis shoes with great arch support and padding (have plantar fascilitis which in turn has also caused fat pad atrophy in balls of feet). I love clothes, espec. skirts and dresses and need shoes that I can wear and feel stylish and not frumpy.

4. amorris says:

Good Morning,

Aren’t APC selling these Kork Ease shoes for a bumped up price? My fave buy recently for flats to walk in are a pair of Ancient Greek Sandals (better than they sound!) from Net a Porter with a strap and also a strapless version, different brand, at our neighborhood Otte. Can’t wait for no socks and sandals!

• KimFrance says:

APC does do a very low heel very much like that but they cost $$$ and are deeply uncomfy—which I was relieved to discover, because they were so cute that I would have had a tough time talking myself out of them if they weren’t!

• amorris says:

Kim, wish you had been there to advise when i succumbed to a burgundy APC pair worn once and now looking at me with a real attitude when i open my closet.

• KimFrance says:

I almost succumbed too, because the cute factor is so high. We are all only human, Amanda, and the siren song of a cute pair of shoes can be quite alluring.

5. corrin says:

And I just ordered two pairs of Kork Ease. Damnit.

6. beth says:

I have the kork ease from two or three years ago. I think I have the lower ones. I love them. I wear a 10 (at only 5’7) so all that extra shoe around my grande sized foot is a good thing.

Super comfortable.

7. beth says:

Wait….Too old for Frye boots??? Never!

• Maggie says:

I am talking the tall yellow leather (I believe it was called “banana”) stacked, chunky heal, round toe Fryes–specific to the mid-70s. All the cool girls had them. I was not a cool girl. If I wore them now I would look ridiculous!

8. Tara says:

I don’t believe you’re ever too old for Frye boots, but I think if I wore those Worishofers it would skew more old lady with bunions. I do have a pair of the lower Kork-ease that I love, and they come in some pretty great colors!

9. rebecca says:

OK – I posted my “no” when only the black japanese thing was up there…. I must edit because Kork Ease are the BEST. So light, so comfortable, so cute.

10. Achariya says:

The hip Europeans are into Swedish Hasbeens. I love them but have yet to justify the price tag…

11. Heather says:

I will admit that I bought a pair of the Kork-Ease about two years ago and live in them in warm weather…..despite being now 50 years old. 🙂 Reminds me of seventh grade. Supremely comfy.

12. srf says:

I love, LOVE the Kork-Ease. Really cute… really very Shaun Cassidy, very Little Darlings, very way back when.

13. Leah S. says:

The UPS man will be delivering my first pair of Worishofer’s later today… hopefully they will a) fit and b) not be too dorktastic.

14. Kim | howtolovethisworld.com says:

I own 2 of those Kork-Ease (love them) and now I need a lower pair of somethings for a trip to Italy. Anyone know how walkable the Swedish Hasbeens are? I’d totally do the Worishofers, too.

15. michelle says:

I love my Worishofers. I resisted….but…they do look good on and SO comfortable.

I just got a pair of Hasbeens(gift certificate!). They require breaking in like most clogs but so far totally walkable.