Sunday 17th December 2017

Say it loud

Screen shot 2013-02-28 at 5.06.03 PM

I like a nice, sophisticated floral: not anything that shows too much restraint,  mind you, but one with a clean color palette and not all that much going on in the way of trickery. And I’ve never gone for anything too bright, or pink, or rosy, because that can skew so mumsy, or Lily Pulitzer, or upholstery-ish, or—not infrequently—all three.  And yet! I have not been able to get this Tsumori Chisato top off my mind since I saw it at at Otte earlier this week: yes, it totally looks like there was an explosion at the flower shop, and yes, every shade is just a touch more lurid than one sees in nature. But possibly that’s not such a bad thing: maybe we all need room in our closets for at least one print that says f*** you to careful good taste (while still managing not to be in actual bad taste) and that makes you happy the minute you put it on.

Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 11.53.51 PM

This tank almost gets away with being quite straightforwardly pretty—but then those big wild yellow bursts come along and save it from such a pedestrian fate.

Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 11.56.38 PM

I know, a knife pleat seems awfully lady. But I’m convinced this would be the kind of easy, comfortable top a person might reach for all season long.

Screen shot 2013-02-28 at 6.15.39 PM

Hats off to J. Crew for bringing us the most Go Big or Go Home Liberty print maybe ever.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted on February 28th, 2013 13 Comments

1. mims says:

Sorry, but those first two just scream 60 year old ladies at a garden club meeting with bad orthopedic shoes and mom jeans. But the third one is killer and the last two definitely wearable. I think Target did Liberty years ago and might have done it even better than J crew at a lower price point.

2. Donna says:

I have just recently started liking floral prints. The last three are all really nice. I would wear any of them.
    Donna

3. Fiona says:

Ohhh, I can’t. This is my nightmare.

4. frances says:

I want the first one and the last one so bad. Way outside of my price point. Why?

5. Diane says:

The only one that does anything for me is the last one — I do love Liberty prints and this one is actually pretty fantastic. Not a huge fan of floral prints — so dowdy — but I do like photographic prints. Maybe the first one has a hint of that?

6. joannawnyc says:

Adore a good floral print, but it’s hard to find the right one. I’ve been looking at the Wildfox ones for a while, but they just seem too naive in the end.

Love that JCrew Tresco print, though.

7. Sue says:

these all say “retirement villa” to me

The last is passable, pretty to look at but more as a book endpaper pattern than as a garment really

Boy, this is a tough crowd. Me, I like the pleated print best. I don’t mind a pretty print. Though, loud and restrained ones can also be acceptable. Guess I just like florals.

9. Kim | howtolovethisworld.com says:

J Crew did shoes in that print, too. Pretty.

10. Violet says:

#2 is taking me back to the 80s somehow and I think I like it. #3 is cute, but maybe just because I am longing for the kind of weather that demands just such a breezy, light top. I would never wear #5 because I don’t like collars (short neck) but I like the print very much.

#1 and #4 are awful. I am a plus-size girl and those two absolutely scream “fat girl clothes.”

11. KimFrance says:

Tough crowd indeed! You guys should see some of the ones I *didn’t* include! In any case, a rundown of some pretty, sophisticated florals (which I found a lot of while looking for these) will most likely happen here some time soon.

12. SewOm says:

I actually adore that first top. It has as many leaves as it has flowers, maybe that helps. Also, its slightly surreal in both color and photo quality. I would wear it. As for #3, whenever I see pleats, all I can think is “but how would I iron it after I wash it?” I like its swishy-ness, but those pleats would give me nightmares.

13. Amy in StL says:

I love the print in the knife pleat top. It’s great, except I have boobs. Girls with boobs can’t wear that style, sadness.