Thursday 14th December 2017

Get stripey

Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 4.05.56 PM

It is a testimony to just how much the elements have been bringing all of us down here in New York that when a friend  referred to the weather outside today as “glorious,” I knew what she meant, even though the sun was nowhere to be found. It was just one of those days that usually don’t come along until February if you’re lucky; days that tease spring with balmy air and temperatures high enough that you can stuff your scarf and gloves in your bag and feel almost human again. My self-appointed duty this afternoon was to look for basic, long-sleeved black tees to replace my old ones, which are truly dead and busted. But instead, I decided to seek these out: striped tees that aren’t like all the other striped tees, and that you don’t have to wait until April to work into your wardrobe. Like this multistriped number from Madewell, which is made so chic by that unexpected drop shoulder.

tee.marant

Sometimes I feel I am a bit too hard on Isabel Marant. Yes, this red, white, and blue top is pricey, but it is so dead-on cool that I can hardly bear it.

tee.r13

I have been circling this R13  diagonal-striped tee for quite some time now. It’s the perfect example of a striped top that works all year round, and is soft as the day is long.

Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 4.45.17 PM

The particular pattern of these stripes feels so excellently Peter Brady.

Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 5.23.51 PM

Stripes and ethnic flourishes on the same top: almost too much to bear.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted on January 30th, 2013 17 Comments

1. crackerjackheart says:

I am obsessed with striped shirts. I’m eternally on the quest for the perfect black and white stripe tee. But I”m not really loving nay of these. I’m not sure why but they are all lacking, hmm, something, a certain classiness or something.

2. jhops says:

As a Currently Pregnant Person, I am bound & determined to avoid horizontal stripes across my body in the immediate future. However, I do enjoy ogling all the pretty things I have zero intention of buying. I really like the 2nd-to-last one.

3. Jill says:

Im not in love with any of these either…I think they’re cute but I need something with more waist definition.

Winter sucks!

4. Patience says:

I just found the perfect striped shirt, in organic cotton, at the Zara in Lisbon. On sale, even! It’s my new favorite shirt.

5. Sue says:

Eh. Love them on others but …no.

Love the Madewell…the others…meh.

7. Eve says:

Loved stripes but worry they make me look rounder

8. AmyM says:

The diagonal stripes are fantastic! You should stop circling and get it. Also, I’ve been seeing more dropped shoulders lately. Do we like this? Is it a good thing? I can’t decide.

• Viajera says:

I think that depends on one’s body shape. I am not fond of them myself, at all. And I don’t think they do anyone any favors, but they look less bad on some people than others.

• Viajera says:

I have to reverse myself. On the Madewell, the dropped shoulder works for me. But I usually don’t like them at all.

9. rachael says:

Be forewarned that the madewell one is sheer. I have it in pink and love it but can’t imagine wearing it without a cami.

10. Meg says:

Can someone advise on the trend of tucking part of your top into your pants? Whenever I try it, I find I look ridiculous instead of chic, but perhaps I’m being too harsh. Do women of 46 years dress this way?

I like the look of the Madewell one, and the diagonal R13. So you should totally buy those if you want them.

I have to disagree on the Marant though, and the others too. The Marant and the best-bum tee look like Orange County in the 80s to me, which is not good. And their length is not helping in this case.

The last one is trying too hard to be different. The glory of a striped tee is the stripeyness, which is enhanced by diagonality, but is just made busy by anything else. Now if the “ethnic” part was a scarf that one wore with the tee, that might actually look nice. But this, no. It’s a mishmash. And it looks messy on.

• Viajera says:

And now I am going to be quiet, but, I forgot to say, I’d have liked the R13 better if it were navy and white, not black and white. I am having a thing lately where I don’t like black and white together very often. When I see a talking head on the telly wearing a white shirt with a black suit, I just think, eww, he could look so much better if he wore some other color combo. Maybe it’s a phase but right now it is too glaring and stark and jarring.

12. Kiki says:

I love these stripes. They’re so….Swedish!

13. mslewis says:

I love that last one. I would happily pay $98 for it, unlike that one the other day with the kitty kats on them. This one looks more substantial and prettier. I’ve PIN’ed it and hope to buy it soon.