Sunday 17th December 2017

No more tight pants

I won’t lie: I’m in a bit of a mood today. The weather is stuck in some humid, sticky, holding pattern of ick; the dog took a big fat liberty on my nice vintage Moroccan rug, and I am feeling like a bit of a chubster—and therefore in no mood to transition into the skinny jeans that I pretty much live in during the cooler months now that I don’t have to show up at an office anymore. Quite suddenly I feel desperately in need of an alternative. Part of this is a question of what looks best—it stands to reason that I’d like another option on pudgypants days like these. But also, I’d like something more graceful and easy; trouser-y, but not in a workaday way. I want them to be as casual and throw-them-on-and-go as my summer chinos.  I’ll just start in with the pair you’re all most likely to mock me for liking: this Rag & Bone harem style number, because I think they are crazy flattering. And also quite chic.

Also from Rag & Bone: these look kind of like modified leggings, and aren’t as much slouchy as they are relaxed—but they do look about as comfortable as the day is long.

There are few things I loathe more  than I loathe a pleat, but I think I could swing the itsy ones here. And I like the higher waistline, as a higher waistline is something I’m currently aspiring to in a pant as well.

This pair from Helmut Lang has just clean enough lines to make the drop crotch work. I really believe that.

Tags: ,
Posted on September 28th, 2012 16 Comments

1. Tee-Bone says:

Wilfred by Aritzia makes roomy pants (PMS-pants) that don’t look awful, either.

Nothing much online yet, but the Libellule ones look promising: http://aritzia.com/blog/2012/08/fall-12-has-arrived-0

2. CB says:

“the dog took a big fat liberty on my nice vintage Moroccan rug”

This is definitely one of the downsides of dog ownership, but I’ve got to tell you, calling it a “liberty” had me laughing out loud. I plan to use if from now on when such events occur in my own home and office, if you don’t mind. (And with two vectors of chaos, “liberties” occur more often in spite of my best efforts to prevent them.)

I hope your day gets better — and the pants all look like Relief without Sacrifice to me. Yay.

3. elizabeth says:

Hammer-time !!!
    can’t touch this……

well, really on the last Helmut Lang pair…the Rag & Bone ones are pretty interesting…Ima visit the R&B store this weekend…..

Seriously, as a fellow teleworker, how does one get motivated/inspired to ‘shop’ the new season when you can’t really say where, what, why, or when you will need to wear the clothes ? I having apathy/indifference in this area. I have gotten several outfits, bags, shoes over the last 6 months and have a hard time getting to use them for lack of enough outings !

I love Helmut Lang, but dang, watching the video of the model who is 5’9″ and wearing a size small and STILL looks like a twee munchkin…no. Please, no.

I like the first pair best. I confess I am not fond of pants that taper. I think they’d look even better in a wide leg style which, alas, I cannot wear.

But, on certain days, like when it’s humid and one is grumpy, what the bleep! I hope your day gets better!!

I suggest dark chocolate. It’s medicinal, you know. (And I used to say that before it was true.)

6. susanjane says:

They are all terribly unattractive. Consider wearing a dress if the idea of jeans doesn’t appeal.

7. RebeccaNYC says:

If you fancy the Helmut Lang pants, save yourself a hundred bucks or so and buy Sport Knit Pants from Lands End instead. Seriously.

8. alexa11221 says:

You can still wear chinos. I know I am 😉

Also, sometimes XCVI is good for these kinds of days.

9. Jules says:

These are okay to wear in the confines of your home office or to run out for a coffee, but to present yourself proudly to the world? Nah. They look too much like the live-in, sleep-in, schlep-in sweats that most of America wears to Denny’s. Quelle horreur!

10. Robbi says:

I bought a pair of roomy gray Vince to wear on a transatlantic flight. They were comfy alright but the look was very diaper-esque. I was mortified when we landed in Paris. I’ll wear them around the house when no one else is around. I’d rather zip up my fat in a pair of jeans than look like I’m carrying a diaper load!

11. Alexa says:

The top pair is interesting, at least.
    The rest really do look like Land’s End to me as well. Don’t do it!
    You are so much better than that.
    Days like this, the icky, PMS-ish days, are made for flowey skirts or dresses, I think.
    Hope your day has improved!

12. Kamila says:

I’ve found myself craving a comfy pair of black pants, too. And please – no chinos. I will never look like those long and lean JCrew models.
    That bit of hardware on the first pair isn’t working for me but I’d give all the others a try. Those Libellule look good, too. And I second the dark chocolate (more than 70% cacao) as being medicinal 🙂

13. Shelley says:

I like all but the last Helmut Lange pair. I think it’s a new or revived sillouette and therefore most people are adverse to it at first. The first pair I love. I think the line of the pants and the comfort level are right on. with a bit of a heel they are slimming. Skinnies are great but sometimes a girl needs variety. Go for it.

14. Sarah says:

I like these. I’m looking for comfortable pants for travel; something relatively cozy for the plane that will look a bit polished upon arrival. I was thinking of tracking down wide-legged black jersey pants. But I’m only 5’5 and don’t wear heels, so wide legs are not my best look. These may do the trick.

15. Caroline says:

Your blog is great and i’m totally enjoying it.
    Just wanted to say,being of a certain age myself I need pockets on the back!!!! Just not enough between my backside and the world otherwise!!

16. amanda says:

I recently bought a pair of drop crotch tapered baggies at the Gap for $25 after I burned my legs with boiling hot coffee. The legs were big enough to accommodate the thick bandages around my thighs. I get so many compliments on these pants, they really are pretty flattering.