Friday 18th August 2017

Blue and black is totes sophisticated

I’m finding this whole blue and black thing very appealing. Not as much the color block pieces—which always feel a bit mod and costumey—as the prints, which seem richer and less one-season. I also very much like how excellent all the shades of blue are: rich and jewel-y-toned, purply-cobalt, and extra-flattering.

Maria Cornejo is one of my favorite designers, because she really knows how to cut clothes for women that are not only flattering but also comfortable. This dress is so elegant I can hardly bear it. It says, Yeah I’m cool, but don’t not take me seriously.

On a somewhat less subdued—but I still think perfectly appropriate—note: this Marc by Marc Jacobs number. It looks very short here, but that might be due to glamazon model issues; in this picture, on a model who’s 5’10”, it hits right above the knee.

Ikat prints can be so damn loud, but this one is positively chill.

This Theyskens Theory sweater feels like it would have all the versatility of a solid cardigan, but so very much more excitement.

Plus, it’s rather fantastic from the back

The genius of this by Malene Birger scarf is that the zig zag print is kind of  abstract and messy, which keeps it from being overwhelming.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on August 31st, 2012 9 Comments

1. Cate says:

I’m feeling the blue this year. Let’s hope its an election omen

2. déjà pseu says:

I do love that first dress. I’ll bet it looks gorgeous on. Blue is a nice way to break up an otherwise all-black ensemble. And so Rive Gauche!

3. amorris says:

I just bought the Marc Jacobs dress but didnt have the nerve/wallet to go for the blue and went for black and white instead. Its just above the knee on me at 5’6. Its a classic style, suiting 18-80 years (seriously i am not on commission from M Jacobs!)

4. Rachel Anderson says:

I like the blue and black a lot. I like the Marc Jacobs dress better in the photo than on the model in the Saks 5th Ave video; I think it looks kind of ill fitting in the video.

That first dress is just awesome.

5. Daphne says:

I like the Marc Jacobs dress. It looks longer and less fitted in the picture linked though. I love black and blue. I haven’t worn them together much since my teenage years when I fancied myself a little goth.

6. CB says:

Love, love, love blue and black together — especially darker blues and black. AndI am so glad you wrote this because I have been doing the combo for some time and was just beginning to think that maybe I was wrong.

7. Eve says:

Maria cornjeo’s dress terrific

8. mslewis says:

Blue is my favorite color, any shade. I wear it with black all the time and I love blue and dark brown together. Love the ikat print dress.

9. Margie says:

The Maria Cornejo dress is perfect ….the length, print and silhouette. Black with shades of blue is my go to combination ..with silver jewelry. love!