Sunday 17th December 2017

Crazy or cute?

Clog granny boots. Inspired union or unholy alliance?

Tags: ,
Posted on August 30th, 2012 33 Comments

1. maggie says:

That’s basically my dream boot, but that might not say much for its style potential… my boyfriend made me throw out all (2 pairs) of clogs this year. I miss them. 🙂

2. Audrey says:

I normally hate clogs, but these are cool.

3. Sheri says:

Not so sure about those. Something just doesn’t look right about them.

4. blackbird says:

Inspired union two years ago.
    Does that matter?
    Not really.
    And def better than Jeffrey Campbell, but not as good as a nice pair from Rag & Bone.

5. Sarah says:

BACK AWAY FROM THE CLOGS! Not cute.

6. RebeccaNYC says:

cutecutecutecute and I want some now. I live in clogs….these would be the perfect addition to my closet.

7. carmencatalina says:

I love clogs, I love boots, and I love clog-boots. They are great!

8. Shona says:

I’m confused – I thought clogs were always open in the back? Isn’t this just a pair of boots?

9. CoudreMode says:

I like ’em too, John Fluevog has a much crazier one for fall

10. CB says:

Well, I am getting a “Friends” vibe from them, so maybe not. (I know, I know, the nineties are coming back with a vengeance. I am just not ready to go there.) Happy Weekend!

11. Tammy says:

They look like Doc Martens on steroids. I went to Zara earlier this week and they had myriad styles of great boots. Nothing this wacky, though.

• Lisa says:

I thought they looked like weird Doc Martens too! I llove clog boots, lived in them last fall and winter but, not this pair. Check out the clog boots @ No. 6

12. amorris says:

I’m with the nays! Look heavy and uncomfortable, cant imagine dragging those around for hours. Yes agree with previous comment, Rag and Bone/AP/Isabel Marant will do the trick. Do you know this thing we do, buying winter clothes in the summer, some people just dont understand why! I guess these are not people that spend hours on the phone chasing the exact style size and color of whatever around the country.

13. Susan says:

I love clogs and practically live in them, both wooden-soled clogs and Danskos. I fell for a pair of boots with clog-style wooden soles – Frye, if memory serves – and, although I liked the look, it was all but impossible to walk in them: you can’t bend your feet in clog-style boots and so I clomped uncomfortably everywhere – clomp, clomp, clomp – and sounded like a herd of buffalo. And don’t even think of trying to walk in them on icy sidewalks. Just sayin’.

• Cate says:

I was kinda intrigued by them until you made the very good point! No bending of the foot makes for a very awkward gait. And now that I’m going to be all outfitted in leopard, I want to slink like one

• Viajera says:

I am curious. Do you mean that you can’t bend your foot in *any* clog, because of the wood sole? Or is it something specific to a boot-clog?

I am partial to anything with a platform sole, so this is an important question for me.

• Susan says:

no; it’s more the boot clogs that were an issue. I’m fine in regular clogs — even danskos with closed backs, because they’re designed to give the foot at least some movement. But something about your feet being encased in clog boots makes it impossible to bend your feet.

14. Robbi says:

Witchy on wood!

So, does the stapling of the leather to the sole mean that you cannot re-sole them? I am kind of against that. If I like a shoe, I want it to have more than one life. I know that’s probably out of style in today’s throw-everything-away world, but I do not like the trend of throwaway shoes. Regardless of price. (Well, okay, I do throw out used-up flipflops. But some places recycle them!)

And on an aesthetic level, again, the stapling is an issue for me. Otherwise, they’d be cute if they are comfortable to walk in.

• Viajera says:

So, apparently, you are never supposed to wear them if the rubber covering on the bottom of the sole wears out. The rubber part you can re-sole.

So in theory, one would not need to re-sole them? This is a point in their favor. Anybody got any of these?

16. Fiona says:

I have these in white, and they are AMAZING. Comfy, perfect height, and with the bonus of looking like I’m ice skating all the time. Win-win.

17. Sheryll says:

I hate both on their own (esp. clogs), but somehow, I’m grooving on them together! I probably won’t go out and buy a pair, but I won’t snort derisively and roll my eyes if I see them on someone else.

18. belle says:

Kim, I adore you and your site but I’m beginning to wonder if we’re on completely different wavelengths. I don’t hate clogs. I like ’em actually. But I like a different style altogether. And blue/black? I get it. I like it and wear it but not like these…okay the Maria Cornejo dress is good. I can wear that style well. But the sweater, tsk, tsk.

19. cynthia kling says:

Over $400 for a pair of clogs – the cheap shoes – can’t go there.

20. sarah says:

I like them in theory, but I dunno.

I had them, but could never wear them without feeling like Elton John in Tommy, so I consigned them. I think the laces make them just a little too costume-y for someone my age. I do love the SH clog boots sans laces, though.

21. Tee-Bone says:

Love clogs! Am looking for a brown pair of clog booties for myself this winter.

Stevie Nicks.

23. Amy says:

Love! I’ve been all about clogs since a foot injury earlier this year. They’re the only things I can wear without pain. These are fantastic.