Friday 18th August 2017

Why wouldn’t Obama do an interview with Glamour?

One might have foreseen that news of  Barack Obama sitting down with Cindy Leive of Glamour—for a piece to run in the magazine’s November issue—would result in a big old public outcry from the right. But the fact of its predictability makes it no less annoying. “Can’t wait to see what he thinks of the new collection. Next up: the Cosmo interview!”  snarked a columnist at the National Review who, in a follow-up email exchange with WWD,  elaborated: “The grumbling about Obama’s fluff interviews would be quieter if the country were in a time of peace and prosperity, or if he hadn’t gone eight weeks without a press conference.”  Greta van Sustern and the Drudge Report chimed in with similar sentiments.

It’s not like there’s nothing to this criticism, but the ugly brand of glee that has accompanied it feels reductive and misguided and tinged with misogyny.  Glamour may or may not be your personal cup of tea, but it does have a long history of covering issues surrounding women’s professional,  personal, and reproductive rights.  In addition to which (and as many have pointed out), George W. Bush—who had an almost xenophobic relationship to the press during a similarly fraught period in this nation’s history—spoke with the publication as well. And anyway, a general interest magazine aimed at women doesn’t seem any less relevant a venue than, say, People,  which quite recently ran an interview with Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and their wives.  For which I don’t knock them: Obama’s been in People too. Giving access to high-circulation publications is something candidates do.  That Glamour—or any women’s magazine that has consistently prioritized important women’s topics—would be considered a less-than-viable venue is such absurdity that I’m annoyed anyone’s even debating it.

Tags: , ,
Posted on August 29th, 2012 11 Comments

And with misogyny, homophobia is never far behind.

I tried to watch some of the GOP convention yesterday and the level of b.s. was just too high. Maybe the DP one will have a lot of it too, though as a Dem it probably won’t bother me as much. I also think though that Dems are not into negativity for its own sake the way some Republicans are. I feel that I should listen to Republicans and try to pick out what they have to say that’s valuable — but they make it so hard!!

• LK says:

Viajera: I agree. I like to think I am an open-minded individual who values opinions that differ from my own. And then I listen to the candidates and members of the GOP and I’m grinding my teeth together with fury.

2. CB says:

Thank you.

3. lormac says:

The late Ruth Whitney was a wonderful role model when she was the editor of Glamour. She really turned Glamour into a magazine that addressed “womens” issues, while still understanding that a feminist can wear mascara (and should know which brands are best). So many great articles in that magazine, and also the “Glamour Women of the Year.”!

Glamour has a history of being a magazine that does not easily fit into any particular category, despite its name. I used to absolutely love its former Food Editor, Jane Kirby, who published the best recipes in Glamour. I would make one of those recipes and then have to deal with the shocked expressions of my friends when I told them that this delicious dish actually came from Glamour magazine! (No, not Gourmet – Glamour!!)

• Viajera says:

Which recipes? Which years? Do tell!!!

• lormac says:

The best recipe I have from Jane Kirby is the recipe for “Austin’s Birthday Cake” which is a sponge roll that you fill with strawberries and whipped cream. The sponge cake is ridiculously easy and foolproof and tastes delicious. I have filled it with peaches and whipped cream, or sauteed apples in caramel sauce, and it works those ways too. You can make the sponge layer a day ahead and it serves 12 if you slice it right (or 8 if you don’t). Kirby also provided a gingerbread cookie recipe that way outstrips all competitors and a wonderful sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. Look for her cookbook “Glamour’s Gourmet On the Run” in your used bookstore (or on Amazon). See, I am a fan!!!

Agree.

5. Cate says:

I wonder if anyone would anyone be squawking if a candidate did an interview with Details

6. Nancy says:

Great post with a couple of glaring typos: “Whouldn’t” (in the title) and “Barak” (in the first sentence).