Sunday 25th June 2017

Some bags for you. All under $150

Because it’s crazy how much a girl has to shell out for a nice handbag.

This bucket bag from Zara looks super-rich, and the zipper details provide the exactly right amount of adornment, and not a touch more—which is nice, because people tend to go nuts with a zipper detail.

When you’re shopping for a shape as stripped-down and super-clean as this envelope clutch, it can be fun to  go somewhere unexpected with the color. I went with green on this one, but it actually comes in a whole host of other—probably more versatile—hues as well.

This clever little single-strap backpack is almost too no-muss-no-fuss.

As a rule, I do not like logos on my bags. But improbably enough, this saddlebag’s Fred Perry logo is precisely what makes it so awesome.

This swingpack from Coach’s Legacy line has its logo moment too, but it’s just underplayed enough not to hog all the attention. Because the bag is  based on a vintage style, I chose it in this retroish shade of blue. Although certainly you wouldn’t have to.

Just take this canvas bag, add a white button-down shirt, topsiders, jeans,  and poof! it’s 1979 and you’re Lauren Hutton.

If done right, combining blue and brown can be totally fancy-girl chic. Doesn’t this Old Navy bag kind of nail it?

I set the bar exceedingly high on animal prints—there are so many awful ones, at any point on the price spectrum—and I have to say, this leopard clutch clears it.

At first I wasn’t too keen on the little chain strap detail on this cross-body bag. But then I decided that’s totally what makes it so cute.

Posted on July 31st, 2012 10 Comments

Re animal prints — what are your criteria? Realism? Texture? Fabulousness? Do tell.

I like the Zara the best, visually, but I don’t like having to root around the bottom of hugely vertical bags to find stuff, so, it’s a bit of a tradeoff.

• KimFrance says:

Oh my God, I have so MANY thoughts on animal prints that I think I could start a whole Tumblr on the topic. It all comes down to two things: #1 the quality of the print itself and #2 the shape and style of the item itself. Maybe as the fall clothes start rolling out I’ll hold forth at greater length. Or at the very least show you some stuff I like a lot.

• Viajera says:

Yes. In general, it’s got to be a classic shape. Unless it’s something totally hoochie, which can be very nice too. And there can be classic/hoochie overlap. One item at a time, usually.

This kind of print — is it faux cheetah or leopard or what? I’m ignorant! — is pretty much the only one I like. I am not as into giraffe or zebra print. (Though, on the odd day, who knows?) And I am picky about the colors used and whether it’s a nice print. But, I don’t know what the real thing looks like, so authenticity isn’t an issue. I think when it’s done in a velveteen, then it’s even happier.

Other than that, I do like faux snakeskin. I don’t see any advantage in the real stuff.

2. Cortney says:

you got good taste. i also liked the zara the best.

3. mslewis says:

I like all of the bags but especially that canvas safari-looking one. I also like the Coach cross-body.

It would be great if you showed photos of the animal prints you like and those you don’t. I used to like animal prints years ago but I have a cousin (whom I love) who wears NOTHING BUT animal prints! She will wear anything (blouses, pants, dresses, purses) that is an animal print and in any color (latest favorite: red and yellow). She has totally turned me off and made me afraid to even think about wearing the prints I have, forget about buying anything new.

So, give me some guidance on how to wear my totally subdued brown/black/beige animal prints so I can maybe wear them again.

4. JenM says:

Love this feature. The Zara bag and the canvas one are perfect for fall. Please keep up the fabulous shopping tips. I love how your suggestions are totally hot but always appropriate. And by appropriate I don’t mean they could live happily ever after in the Garnet Hill catalog (barf–but hey if I ever need a stone or moss colored hospital johnnie at least I know right where to get one). Thank you for such a fun and useful site.

5. Carol says:

I love the Fred Perry…the color is actually quite neutral.

6. diane says:

hi i posted this bag http://www.celine.com/en/collection/fall/leather-goods/classic-bag/6 on my pinterest, your version is about a million dollars cheaper and looks great, good call. personally i think dark green and burgundy are the colors to watch for fall and a clutch is a great way to incorporate them into your outfit without going overboard either by being too trendy or to broke. diane

7. Stacey says:

I gotta say – that Old Navy one looks like quite a rip off of Longchamp. And Longchamp Le Pliage bags are just under 150 ($145).

8. Jane says:

As a bag obsessive who should tone down the spending, please do more of these!