Friday 18th August 2017

I love platforms

They’re just a brilliant invention—all of the height of regular heels, with just a fraction of the discomfort. I wear them all summer, pretty much everywhere, because flats make me feel like a cow and flip flops are strictly for weekends and walking the dog. But summer is hell on shoes, and right now I’ve got exactly two pairs in rotation: one new, and one survivor from last year that’s fading fast. Here are a few possible successors.  All chosen for their not-too-highness and supreme walkability.

This one comes off all chic and understated in an expensive French girl way—and yet it is Steve Madden and just as affordable as you please.

Platform clogs are crazy-loud—seriously, you can hear yourself galumphing down the street in them—but you can’t beat them on the whole super-casual-and-extra-cute front.

Sorry, but I think these are awesome.

You’re not going to win any sexy points wearing this fairly subdued pair from APC, but that can’t always be the endgame.

Similarly not-hot, but also not without its charms: this black-and-blue pair by Rachel Comey.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on May 31st, 2012 16 Comments

1. daisyj says:

Don’t know why, but I’m feeling the blue ones. Not going to turn you into the walking embodiment of sex, but I think there’s a kind of cool-and-graphic-without-trying-too-hard thing going on there.

2. chris says:

i enjoy all of these. i have a bit of a problem with blisters, though. anything goes, as long as the leather or fabric is quite soft…

3. Helen says:

I happen to love Corkease’s 5-inch platforms. I’m just under 5 feet tall, so I feel like a totally different person in them — and I can walk! Platforms are a miracle shoe for all of us in the height-challenged department who still want to look sexy! I even found myself scouting out outrageously youthful styles on lulu’s and the like. What has become of me?

4. Helen says:

So as I said before the site crashed, I’m in love with my Corkease 5-inch platforms. Simple, casual, retro — and yet they transform my 5-foot-tall frame into something much sexier! Yay, platforms!

Yes, yes, yes. I will never ever give them up. (Though some now are getting ridiculous — but, if they make people happy…)

Come to think of it, I think my first pair were Steve Madden. Just a simple black leather slide. A bunch of people I knew had them. I would buy them again today.

7. Mini says:

A vote for the Steve Maddens but…. if you really want a great pair try some Pedro Garcia suede ones. They are amazing! 🙂

8. diane says:

This is why I put your blog in regular rotation: Yesterday I was going to call my super hip 28 year old friend to ask her what platforms she thought were worth it this year, but stopped because she is young and and I am a “girl of a certain age.” This morning answered my question! (My hip gorgeous friend could get away with the black/blue ones, but I better go for the Steve Maddens. The blues would look matronly on me.)

9. Ann says:

Can I just say I’m impressed and kind of envious that you can walk your dog in flip flops — because my dog is big and strong and I have to have shoes that stay on my feet so I don’t trip! I don’t even know if platforms would be safe. By the way, did you see that photo in the NY Times of Amanda Brooks walking her dog wearing a dress and heels…I have NEVER managed to look like that while dog-walking! Unfortunately. But I’m trying to make an effort to look less schlumpy even if I’m just taking her out for a quick walk.

Congratulations on that great article!! Happy for you!

Kork ease. Varying heights. Super comfortable except for the ones with straps that are/look like cork. Go figure.

• KimFrance says:

Several of you have mentioned the Kork Ease. I love them too, especially the all-cork model. But it irks me that they stopped making the really bright ones. Why did they do that?

11. Pam Lappin says:

Recently purchased a great pair platforms by “Lisa by Donald Pliner”. Can’t believe how comfortable they are. I worked a charity auction, walking on concrete for 3 hours and was ready for more.

12. I adore platforms. And I am pleased to see that I’m not the only one in my age range.

13. Anna says:

Have both the corkeeze and hasbeens and love them – I do live in the hasbeens, though – they’re insanely comfortable and even a shy one like me enjoys the entrance I make with all of that clip-clopping – I sound like I’m going somewhere and with great purpose, even if it’s just to the bathroom!

I’d get the Rachel Comey’s for fun if I was in the market for another pair.

14. Lib Aubuchon says:

Wondering if any of you have seen the “Jalita” by Michael Kors. They are gorge and very much like the Steve Maddens Kim referred to. Here’s the thing: I bought the Kors sandals and I love how they look but the heel/sole makes a weird crunching noise. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? They’re really loud because they have a polished leather sole. Not. Feeling. It. Can anyone who’s tried the Maddens address this, while also refraining from laughing at this comment?

15. The Ultimate Treasure Hunt: Sundance Catalog says:

[…] point: Some really pretty jewelry, and sandals I can enjoy destroying this summer. (As Kim over on Girls of a Certain Age pointed out, you can only flog a summer shoe for so long before it just gives […]