Sunday 17th December 2017

Can we all agree that cargo pants have become a classic?

Because now that you can buy more streamlined un-bulky ones— like the pair our pal Kate Bosworth is wearing here—they can be so cute and flattering. And with a white tank: such summer perfection. I see women wearing versions of this all over downtown in the summer, and they all look great.

I’m pretty certain Kate’s wearing these AG cargos, which are indeed super-cute, but I like their capri version as well. Or you could always go for J Brand, a jeans company that practically reinvented itself a couple of years ago making sexy cargo pants for the ladies. If you’ve been working on your core, you might go for a tank like this one. If you’re looking to hide a little junk, maybe you’d prefer something more along these lines.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on May 30th, 2012 13 Comments

Yes, I agree, they are very cute. I also think they look better the way she wears them – somewhat loose — rather than the model pictures. Too tight sort of ruins the casualness somehow.

2. Mimi Avins says:

I know the point is style, but if I may praise the functional value of cargo pants, let it be noted that they’re the best for walking your dog: you get to stash poop bags, phone, keys , etc and leave your handbag home. Yay! And yes, they have definitely attained classic status.

3. Joanna Grant says:

I love my cargo pants. I have two pair – one that is more chic (narrow at the bottom) and one that is super-functional (wider at the bottom with roll-up hem). Are the super-functional ones just …. well… too functional to be fashion-forward?

4. Liz Heinecke says:

I think I have the same cargos and LOVE them. Been wearing mine with a gray and white striped tank.

5. Kely says:

For those of us who are not fans of our thighs, I always find the pockets bring a bit too much focus. Anyone have a brand they feel works better or styling that helps with that?

6. frances says:

They may be a classic, but they are one that I will never wear. I can sum it up in one word: saddlebags.

Also, Kim, FWIW I think it would improve your blog functionality if links opened in a new tab. Just my preference for ease of navigating multiple links.

• Laura says:

I was just saying that to my husband last night, Frances. If the link opens on the Girls of a Certain Age tab, I then have to go back to it and scroll down to where I was. I am willing to do that because I love this blog, but others may not come back to it if the tab is gone.

7. Diane says:

a good cargo pant rocks with heels and a jacket for an all around look that makes us look even better…and here i was resisting casual!

8. KarenRED says:

May be a classic for size 6 and smaller, I am a 10 and they look awful on me.

9. Absolutely! I got a cute, sleek little pair from J Jill last summer. They are indispensable on practical days, like marathon shopping or navigating an amusement park.

I believe these are them: http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=IH006T&BID=274942898&h=P&sk=P&pfid=550

10. Sheila Cameron says:

I’ve considered them classic for quite some time. IMO Margaret Houlihan made them iconic. Especially with that black turtle neck!

11. Sara says:

Anyone with an hourglass figure struggles in cargos…

12. Erik says:

My half-sister used to wear them in the 70s – I think we called them “army pants” – and it drove my mother (her step-mother) absolutely c-r-a-z-y. For mom they were the most obvious sign (besides my black concert tees) that we youths were trash, even though sis looked GREAT in them. Needless to say, they don’t speak anymore. Memories!