Monday 20th November 2017

Do maxidresses scare you as they scare me?

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the maxi. They do almost no one’s body any favors, bunching  unattractively from behind and only camouflaging your stomach until a stiff wind blows—at which point even the most spin class-addicted among us runs the risk of coming off a bit Second Trimester.  Think about all of the pictures in Us of movie stars in them. Even they look a little frump. And yet I get the instinct: they are the soul of comfort. You throw one on, you’re out the door.

Call me crazy, but I actually think this Mexican print Rodebejer dress—which I found after Beso blogger Albertina Rizzo raved about the San Francisco boutique that carries it, Acrimony—could actually work. You’d need to belt it, definitely. But it’s made of a lightweight viscose, which falls a lot more gracefully than the stretchy cotton jersey too many maxis are made of.  And the print is definitely not something you’re going to see yourself coming and going in.

Tags: , ,
Posted on May 16th, 2012 9 Comments

1. Elise says:

It’s not just the second trimester effect, it’s the whole “hello lady parts bit.” Unfortunate, through and through. But a print will definitely make it less obvious (the single-colored jerseys are the worst offenders).

2. Ann says:

Thank you, I’ve been seeing so many in magazines and blogs lately that I’d started to get a bit brainwashed. My original instinct was that they would be terribly unflattering, but I was starting to waver. I think I’ll stay away. But you’re right, this one is pretty!

3. Tanya says:

I kind of love maxi dresses. Since I’m short, I assume the long column makes me look tall. Even if this is just in my head, I’m okay with it.

4. Maggie says:

Nightgowns. I just see nightgowns.

Apologies but that print says “blanket” to me.

I think, if they’re made out of a light woven and not a knit, and have some sort of fitted bodice up top, it can work. But, try finding one like that.

I guess I haven’t noticed the lady parts issue. Does that mean that they cling too much there?

6. jacqueline says:

The key for me is to make sure I have a defined waist. So the maxi itself needs to define my waist, or I need to add a belt.

Also, I make sure that the print isn’t overwhelming.

7. mslewis says:

I love maxi dresses, always have. They are wonderful in the hot humid weather we get in my city, much better than pants/capris. I did not just start wearing them because of the latest trend, I’ve been wearing maxis every summer for YEARS!! And putting a belt around a maxi is ridiculous. What’s the point? The breeze needs to flow through.

Anyway, I love the one pictured.

8. Sara says:

Maybe it’s just because I am from Florida, but maxi dresses have always been an important part of my summer wardrobe. They are just so much cooler (and more put-together looking) than shorts. You can often wear the same dress for work or for play. I suppose that you could put a belt around one, but it seems that it would defeat the purpose of the dress being airy and cool.

It is pretty easy to find flattering shapes and interesting patterns. (Again, maybe just because maxi dresses are very popular here.)

I do agree that clingy, solid-color ones can be pretty awful.

9. Belinda says:

I didn’t try a maxi last summer–could not get Maude out of my head. This summer, I will try with a “summer dress-maxi fusion” that I found (it buttons up in front). My thinking is that I can open the buttons down low to increase the breeze –very worried about getting all sweaty under so much material!