Tuesday 17th October 2017

I am dying of happiness

Buzzfeed has posted these fantabulous pictures Hello Kitty Airlines, which is part of the Japanese company Eva Jets, and life feels like it’ll be nothing but Saturdays from now on. I’m high on a thousand cupcakes. Bathed in the light of a million rainbows.

True, Japan has already  broken the twee barrier  by bringing  us Hello Kitty Star Wars Storm Troopers and Hello Kitty Maternity Hospitals, but this feels like a real game changer. Just imagine the delight that would be check-in.

And lunchtime!

The notion of grown women obsessing over a cartoon kittycat with no mouth should probably offend my feminist sensibilities. But how could one possibly begrudge the world this giant flying antidepressant? (Or its manic, wackadoo website? Skip  it and you’re only hurting yourself, people.)

Tags: ,
Posted on April 30th, 2012 10 Comments

1. mslewis says:

Whenever I read about the Japanese obsession with Hello Kitty, I have to smile. Doesn’t upset me at all. In fact, it’s a depression reliever. If I ever have a chance to fly on Hello Kitty airlines you can bet I will. What fun.

2. Kristi says:

I have a good friend who I’m pretty sure moved to Japan just because of her Hello Kitty obsession. She claims it’s because her husband was stationed there with the Air Force. But, I know the truth!

3. Dana says:

I really, really want that lunch!

I’ve got a 38-yr. old friend who adores all things “Hello Kitty.” And she wonders why she’s still single…

5. EVE says:

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO PUT SOME FUN IN FLYING AGAIN

6. […] I don’t know if I could stand to fly on Hello Kitty airlines. OR COULD I? (Girls of a Certain Age) Fug file: Fugs and […]

7. Gwillym says:

EVA’s been indulging in Hello Kitty cuteness since 2005, so, while noteworthy, this isn’t exactly new news. But you do realise that EVA — and the Hello Kitty maternity hospital… and the Hello Kitty Sweets themed restaurant — are *Taiwanese*, not Japanese, right? While Sanrio is indeed Japanese, the more recent over-the-top Hello Kitty craze has been more evident in Taiwan and its tendency to copy ten-year-old Japanese trends.

• KimFrance says:

Yes, my friend DeeDee, who is a professional maven of all things pop-cultural and Japanese, told me after I’d posted this that the Hello Kitty jets had been around for a bit, but they were news to me when I saw them on Buzzfeed the other day, and they filled me with such utter delight that even if I’d known then that they’d been around a while, I’d most likely have written about them. But probably would have mentioned that they’d been around for a while.